Wynton Marsalis Tuba Concerto!

The bulk of the musical talk
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Wynton Marsalis Tuba Concerto!

Post by Art Hovey »

Its official premier will be with the Philadelphia Orchestra in December, but last night I heard Carol Jantsch perform it with the Yale Philharmonia. There are lot of notes, and she played it all from memory while standing on high heels. Very interesting orchestration with much percussion, dissonance and odd time signatures effectively used. There was also a short cadenza in which Carol sang with a lovely non-operatic female voice while playing sort of a countermelody on the tuba. I especially enjoyed the middle movements, where there were some melodic sections. One had a swinging gospel feeling with the string section clapping on offbeats; single clap on beat 2 and double on 4. Yale's Woolsey Hall has more reverberation than I would prefer for this sort of piece, causing her solo line to be obscured in some passages; I trust that the balance will be better in Philadelphia. Carol does not choose to blast out fortissimos as some guys might; she keeps her tone pure and beautiful always. Don't miss it if you can, and Bravo, Carol!
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Wynton Marsalis Tuba Concerto!

Post by Leland »

This would also be great to hear at Brucker Hall on Ft Myer if the tuba-euph workshop gets back on track.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

Leland wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:19 pm This would also be great to hear at Brucker Hall on Ft Myer if the tuba-euph workshop gets back on track.
Is it not on track to happen? I'm way out of the loop this year.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaBeage »

Would you comment on what type of shoe a male soloist was wearing?
#letscallitout
TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Post by TheodoreSmith »

[
Last edited by TheodoreSmith on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

TubaBeage wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:21 am Would you comment on what type of shoe a male soloist was wearing?
#letscallitout
If you go to Carol's website you will see many photos of her wearing high heels. Lots of colors and styles.

She's obviously into high heels.

Considering that high heels have to some degree gone out of fashion, I think it's fair to comment on someone who still likes them, even in a challenging situation.

I have tickets to see her on Dec. 9. Good seats.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

She also found a graceful way to empty her tuning slides before the final movement. To my untrained eye it resembled a ballet move, and should be included in any video recording of her performance.
Renodoc
bugler
bugler

Post by Renodoc »

I'm so eager to hear this!

As for the heels, I do think of the old quote about the quote with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers- 'Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did…backwards and in high heels.’
Andy Pasternak
Family Doc in the Biggest Little City
Hirsbrunner HB7
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Douglas wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:00 pm
Leland wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:19 pm This would also be great to hear at Brucker Hall on Ft Myer if the tuba-euph workshop gets back on track.
Is it not on track to happen? I'm way out of the loop this year.
Looks like it's on their calendar after all (the new website is so "clean", it's confusing to me now):
https://www.usarmyband.com/workshops/tu ... m-workshop
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I wish somebody would make a commercial recording of the complete Jennifer Higdon concerto. It was premiered by Craig Knox with the Pittsburgh Symphony.
SWE
bugler
bugler

Post by SWE »

Lots of good seats available for an historic weekend in Philly.

Hm... :?
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

I would have gone to this but the Yale SOM website clearly stated the concert was only open to Yale staff and students. This was confirmed by someone close to Carol and the department, so that's frustrating.
SWE
bugler
bugler

Post by SWE »

Adam C. wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 am I would have gone to this but the Yale SOM website clearly stated the concert was only open to Yale staff and students. This was confirmed by someone close to Carol and the department, so that's frustrating.
Sometimes it's best to unread things you've read, show up, and give it a shot. I'm finally learning this after all these years.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

TubaBeage wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:21 am Would you comment on what type of shoe a male soloist was wearing?
#letscallitout
This is a ridiculous overly-triggered Snowflake comment.

Wearing high heels is HARD. Try it. Try standing in them for any length of time. Try playing an incredibly difficult tuba concerto from memory in them while standing the entire time. This is a qualifier to note that the performer is a legit bad ***, not a comment towards "wow, she's so sexy". Carol's not just a phenomenal performer, she's a legit athlete and thinks nothing of wearing shoes that that suit her style even if they would make the job of performing more difficult for us mortals.

Go call yourself out for looking for reasons to be offended when none exist.
Rob. Just Rob.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Thank you, Rob. It's true that I would not comment on the shoes worn by a male tuba player, but I would comment if he rode onto the stage on a unicycle while playing as well as Carol.