My "SchillerPhone"

The bulk of the musical talk
jswalley
lurker
lurker

My "SchillerPhone"

Post by jswalley »

I don't have $13k to spend on a new Miraphone 1291. I opted for the Schiller American Heritage 4 Valve BBb 4/4 Piston Tuba Studio Series and have zero regrets and money in my savings account. It's a knock-off of the Miraphone 1291...but I don't care!

If you are looking at Schiller horns, my advice to you is to play before you pay, but don't fear Schillers. Do not order one on the interwebs without trying. I had to play 3 tubas before i found my new baby. I Tried the "Elite" BBb and the intonation was better overall but playing anything lower than a low G felt like driving on an icy, rural highway.

My front-piston studio series has a nice range of timbres in the low register. Also, I have been snobby about the Conn Hellleberg mouthpiece I have used for 30 years. When I tried the stock Schiller mouthpiece that came with the horn, middle C was much easier and my articulation improved.

https://www.schillerinstruments.com/tub ... dio-series
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Re: My "SchillerPhone"

Post by Easy Mac »

Great post, and it doesn't sound at all like an employee from Jim Laabs Music is posting.

Please share some photos of your new horn!
jswalley
lurker
lurker

Post by jswalley »

Ha. TY Easy Mac! I did drive to Stevens Point, WI and Troy Laabs helped me demo the horns. I play a bit around town and was hoping to cook up some kind of sponsorship, but no go. This is my second tuba from there. I am not an employee, I swear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jswalley
lurker
lurker

Post by jswalley »

So, my new horn is a Jinbao instrument. A "stencil" horn - made in a factory in Tianjin, China. It turns out that the same horn is also sold as a Jupiter JTU1110 for 4x what I paid for the same horn branded as a Schiller.

https://chucklevins.com/products/jupite ... 8249690185