Recommendations on a switch from a 186ish to a 188ish tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Recommendations on a switch from a 186ish to a 188ish tuba

Post by royjohn »

As some of you may know, I recently acquired a Mack 410 CC tuba (the 186ish tuba). I enjoy the horn and I think I can be quite happy with it for some time. However, maybe I've spent too much time reading about folks who endlessly switch horns, because I can't help thinking about what horn I'd get if I decided to change...I'm thinking I would look for something slightly larger, around the border of 4/4 to 5/4, and maybe having a little more color in the sound, but still retaining a more or less point and shoot intonation. I wouldn't be able to spend a whole lot, maybe $3500 or $4000 or so.

So the obvious choice, I thought, would be a Mirafone 188 CC, if one could be snagged for near $4K. I wonder what other horns that meet the above criteria you would recommend. Maybe an exceptional Piggy (with good intonation)? Some other Cerveny or Amati horn? Something else?

royjohn, tuba tyro :?: :?: :?:
royjohn
SWE
bugler
bugler

Re: Recommendations on a switch from a 186ish to a 188ish tuba

Post by SWE »

That M-W 30 that Lee Stofer is selling looks interesting. No 5th valve, but worth asking how much he would charge to add one, maybe?