Jupiter 24A tuba mouthpiece vs 24AW?

The bulk of the musical talk
willako
bugler
bugler

Jupiter 24A tuba mouthpiece vs 24AW?

Post by willako »

Hi, Does anyone know if the Jupiter 24AW is deeper than the 24A? I wrote to Jupiter and dealers but did not get an answer. If the 24AW is deeper, I would like to buy one. Thanks a lot. Bill
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Re: Jupiter 24A tuba mouthpiece vs 24AW?

Post by TubaBeage »

Bill,
I have not come across a Jupiter 24a mouthpiece.
The Bach 24w is medium deep and the 24aw very deep.
I have several versions of the 24aw (but not the Jupiter) and I can measure the depth for you if you like.
Regards,
Andrew
willako
bugler
bugler

Post by willako »

Andrew,
Thanks so much for your reply and offer to measure some versions. I asked Jupiter and some dealers. The only answer I got was that the 24A and 24AW are probably the same but the 24AW is newer and its name was changed for marketing purposes. My 24A, which sounds good, makes me work to get the notes lower than E flat to speak out, and my community band wants volume, so that's why I was looking for a deeper version. I will just buy an Arnold's 24AW, which is supposed to be an exact copy of the Bach, or I will get the Bach 24AW. I wouldn't be concerned with mouthpieces so much but my teeth and lips make buzzing difficult, so I am picky about a mpc. Thanks again. Bill
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Post by GeoffC_UK »

The only thing I can offer, in discussion, is that the 24AW designation appears with several MP manufacturers.
But, they are definitely not the same thing.
I, too, have a Vincent Bach 24AW, manufactured in the last few years.
I then purchased a Josef Klier 24AW, whose rim diameter and width are comparable with the Bach, but whose cup depth is quite a bit shallower.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Please review the Bach mouthpiece manual. "A" in the mouthpiece designation means "deep cup," and "W" at the end of any mouthpiece designation means "wide rim." 24AW's, both Bach and copies that claim to be based (pun intended) on the Bach, all have that. As you peruse the forum threads, the history of a 24AW is "love-hate." Some folks love the comfort of a wide rim; others say the wide rim impedes articulation. Horses for courses. Link to the manual:
https://www.bachbrass.com/application/f ... 89_web.pdf
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.