too much water in my sousie

The bulk of the musical talk
ftempas
lurker
lurker

too much water in my sousie

Post by ftempas »

I have a King 1250 from about 1950, and after about an hour of playing Dixieland the water really builds up in the first bend after the valves. I have to roll the horn a couple times to get the water out! Has anyone added a water key in that area? Thanks.
SWE
bugler
bugler

Re: too much water in my sousie

Post by SWE »

IMHO the real question is do you have access to a tech that you'd trust doing the work? If so I'd do it
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

I have a 1959 example of that horn and it has a spit valve there, so you are not alone with this issue. I doubt the spit valve was added since the horn came from state surplus. The spit valve still requires me to slosh the horn around a bit to get the water out.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
Tubatooter
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubatooter »

I put a joykey on my tuba because the previous owner had removed the spit valve, and I was very happy with the results. It does drip right below it all the time though, so you'd have to deal with that.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Welcome to the wonderful world of King sousys and tubas water issues. Yes, at one point, we have all had to master the "King Spin" to empty water, especially on institutional instruments that we could not add another water key. Yes, an additional water key may be necessary, especially if you can fit it in.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.