Best Repair Guys in SF (or N Cali) for Vintage Sousa

The bulk of the musical talk
gillish
lurker
lurker

Best Repair Guys in SF (or N Cali) for Vintage Sousa

Post by gillish »

Hey everyone - I’ve got a really unique vintage Conn sousaphone (1917, silver plated, gold inner bell). It’s my primary axe and I have done a lot of work to it. When I’ve lived in NYC, I took it to the guys at J Landress Brass and they did a wonderful job.

I’ve since moved to the SF Bay Area and I need a new repair shop that I can trust. Before I found J Landress I’ve had a few close calls with technicians doing bad repairs that affected the horn. Luckily J Landress was able to reverse the damage. So naturally, I’m hesitant to take a “one of a kind” horn like this one to just any shop.

Who can I trust? I am willing to drive a considerable distance so if there’s no one in the SF Bay Area then let me know who you like on the West Coast.

Thanks everyone!
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Best Repair Guys in SF (or N Cali) for Vintage Sousa

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I believe Tony Clements only trusts Scott at Tim's Music in Carmichael, Ca. Carmichael is a bedroom suburb of Sacramento.

https://www.timsmusicsacramento.com/ind ... age=repair
Renodoc
bugler
bugler

Re: Best Repair Guys in SF (or N Cali) for Vintage Sousa

Post by Renodoc »

Big fan of TIm's music in Sacramento. My tuba instructor who plays for the Reno Phil recommended them. I've had them restore 2-3 tubas and have been very impressed
Andy Pasternak
Family Doc in the Biggest Little City
Hirsbrunner HB7