Meister Walter Nirschl 4/4 and 6/4 Bore Size

The bulk of the musical talk
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Meister Walter Nirschl 4/4 and 6/4 Bore Size

Post by CooperBayliff »

Does anyone know they measurements of the bore on these tubas? I cant find the measurements anywhere else.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
alazzeri
bugler
bugler

Re: Meister Walter Nirschl 4/4 and 6/4 Bore Size

Post by alazzeri »

I just bought a used 4/4 from Lee Stofer last weekend. Lee measured the bore size of each valve when I was at the shop but I’m afraid I don’t remember. Maybe reach out to Lee to see if he might.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

alazzeri wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:07 am I just bought a used 4/4 from Lee Stofer last weekend. Lee measured the bore size of each valve when I was at the shop but I’m afraid I don’t remember. Maybe reach out to Lee to see if he might.
Oh so YOU we're the lucky person who bought this. Congratulations! You should post a review and pictures. Those tubas are pretty amazing. :tuba:
alazzeri
bugler
bugler

Post by alazzeri »

Indeed, I was! My 10+ year search for the elusive 4/4 Nirschl finally ended. I had a few other chances to buy one but the stars never quite aligned, for various reasons, until now. And a huge thank you to Lee for helping make that happen. He got the horn in great shape and was a wonderful host!!

It really is a hell of a tuba. Extremely even from top to bottom, wonderful sound, easy response, workable intonation. It truly has it all. I had always remembered them having an especially great low range, and it is, but the horn is so even that it’s not any more remarkable than any other range or characteristic of the horn.

Probably my biggest takeaway, though, in the short time I’ve had it is how instructive it is. Like any player, I’ve picked up plenty of bad habits over the years, and this horn has a way of saying, “you don’t have to do it that way. Here’s a better way.” Again, that could just be me finding the right horn for me, but I do think it’s also a reflection of how great these horns are.

If I had to name one flaw, it would be the leadpipe angle. I’m actually kind of getting used to it, which is surprising to me because I’m generally pretty sensitive to ergonomics anymore. But really, it’s not ideal but it is manageable.

It had been probably 15 since I had played one, and my playing has changed quite a bit since then, so there was a bit of question whether I would still love that model, but I definitely do. And I’ll say too, having played a couple other more nascent 4/4 models recently that many love (e.g. Ursus, Eastman 832), at least for my playing this still blows both of them away. Probably the only thing that I would sell it for at this point would be one of the fully handmade versions. With the exchange rate being what it is I gave it some thought, but with a little one at home now the logistics of getting it and bringing home was a bit of a non-starter. Oh well…. Maybe the stars will align for one of those someday. In the mean time, I’m still spoiled by the one I have, which is a good position to be in.

Pictures to follow, and @CooperBayliff, sorry for high jacking your post. I’ll see about getting you some measurements the next time I’m in a shop.
TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Post by TheodoreSmith »

I think its…

0.750 primary bore
0.78 4th valve bore
0.83 5th valve bore

Same as the 6/4 york.
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Has anyone who has access to FB just asked him? He's fairly responsive.