CC Tuba mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

CC Tuba mouthpiece

Post by CooperBayliff »

What is the best mouthpiece for CC tuba? Im primarily looking for a gold mouthpiece or atleast gold rimmed mouthpiece that is very good with loud dynamics and low ranges.

I currently use a denis wick heritage 1XL mouthpiece but ive looked at a few others for when i switch to cc

Ive looked at:
Laskey 30H
Laskey 30G
Denis Wick 1CC
Robert Tucci RT-88+ (cant find it in gold?)
Robert Tucci RT-50+ (also no gold? Does anyone know why?)
Canadian brass MB88 (is it like the rt 88 or the rt 88+?)
Canadian Brass Arnold Jacobs Heritage mouthpiece

Which ones are best? Every brand is going to say they have great mouthpieces but i figured i should ask people that arent sponsored or paid to say that the mouthpiece is good.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
patricklugo
bugler
bugler

Re: CC Tuba mouthpiece

Post by patricklugo »

What kind of tuba do you have ? For some people cup mouthpiece works best for rotary tubas and funnel for piston tubas That is the first thing you need to look out for.

Mouthpiece is a personal choice. Grab a tuner and find out the intonation. If everything is a match. Do you like the sound. ?

What brand you play is irrelevant. I played on a Bach 18 for 11 years.
PAT LUGO
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

I plan on playing on piston valve tubas (apart from the 5th valve) 99% of the time.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

There is no perfect mouthpiece. They’re so personal you’ve just got to play a LOT of them and find the best for your horn.

As I mentioned in your last thread, getting yourself somewhere like Dillon’s or Baltimore Brass that have a LOT of tubas and mouthpieces in stock is the best plan for you. Or, some conference like ITEC or Midwest as well.

You may find that a Laskey works well on your King but is hated by whatever C you choose.

I’ve switched mouthpieces and horns several times. A MRP 5.0 HD was liked by my Thor but I didn’t like it on the MRP tuba… funny, huh? Now I’ve got a Sellmansberger Orch. Grand that the MRP loves.

Also, disregard gold. It does nothing except cost more and tarnish faster. And it wears away quicker. If you really NEED gold, for instance if you’re allergic to silver, fine, or I’d look at stainless steel. Save your money. Don’t buy gold just because it looks nice.

If you want a good list of mouthpieces to try, there’s probably hundreds in this forum alone… but here’s what I’ve liked just because:

Perantucci/Robert Tucci 48, 50, 88
Giddings Baer CC
Sellmansberger Symphony/Orchestra Grand
MRP 4.8, 5.0, 8.8 (basically the same as RT just cost more)
Dillon Olka
Stofer Geib, Air Corps
Never tried the Wick/Tindall line but they’re popular…
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

I think you can see from the answers that you are getting that you have some mistaken ideas about tubas and mouthpieces. There aren't mouthpieces that are for CC tubas vs BBb tubas. It depends on the specific horn and specific player. Some players prefer larger or smaller mpcs and play better on one or the other or maybe even a middle sized, Goldilocks mouthpiece. Some people are looking for a mouthpiece to compliment their horn. I have a Mack Brass 410 Miraclone (186), and I like a fairly large mpc in it to help the low register expand and help the horn sound a little richer. If you end up with a very large 5/4 horn like you've been talking about, you might end up wanting something middle sized to give the horn a little more bite and prevent it from being too hollow. It's impossible to know until you try the horn.

I think you could search for a CC tuba using the mouthpiece you use now on BBb. If you try a lot of CC tubas and your mouthpiece doesn't sound right in any of them, then you might try something larger or smaller, more cup shaped or more bowl shaped. I wouldn't get too far into trying out mouthpieces and horns at the same time, or you'll get hopelessly confused. Just use your mouthpiece or pick something that seems to work fairly well with 5/4 tubas, if that is what you are looking at, and pick a horn first. Later, you can refine the mpc choice. If you read my post about choosing a CC tuba, you know I think you should consult your major professor after you get into school before buying a tuba. He/she will also have advice about a mouthpiece. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.

royjohn
royjohn