RIP Floyd Cooley

The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

RIP Floyd Cooley

Post by bisontuba »

Sad to say Floyd Cooley passed away last night ..RIP...
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: RIP Floyd Cooley

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I studied with Floyd - as much I could afford to - between 1973 and '75. However, I continued to hear him play in S.F. on numerous occasions. I'm really bummed about this. I had no idea he had left the U.S. I was trying to get in touch with him, to tell him just how much those lessons in my youth mean to me now. I haven't forgotten one thing he had said (I don't think). His lessons were long, informative and pretty demanding. He was great at phrasing, and coming up with creative ways to solve breathing problems within long phrases. I loved the tubas Floyd had back then: a Rusk cut Holton 345, which he borrowed back for making the Nielsen recordings with Blomstedt; a Cerveny "Piggy" that he used in the S.F. Opera pit at that time, and, of course, the old Gronitz rotary F he played on his "Romantic Tuba" recording for Crystal Records. All wonderful sounding tubas. Of course, Floyd could make a garden hose sound musical.
Dave Roberts
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dave Roberts »

The last time I connected with him was a few years ago while he was driving to Iowa, if I remember correctly, with Fritz. I still have a Nirschl-York I bought from him after he was struck with Bell's Palsy. With out question, Floyd and Jake were the most influential teachers in my life. RIP FC.
IROB
lurker
lurker

Post by IROB »

Floyd’s wife is struggling with the funeral costs. A go fund me is set up if you wish to help

https://www.gofundme.com/f/donate-for-floyds-funeral
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

Seems like maybe the SF Symphony could pay for the costs. Seems odd that he didn't have a larger pension. but people's finances are complex I suppose.