CC tuba for Franck "The Accursed Huntsman".

The bulk of the musical talk
deputysgttuba
bugler
bugler

CC tuba for Franck "The Accursed Huntsman".

Post by deputysgttuba »

The community orchestra I am now in is doing this work in concert in about three weeks. I know that this part is intended for a bass versus a contrabass tuba but the CC (B&S PT20P) is all I own at the present time.
Any suggestions for mouthpieces to try to make what I have possibly a bit easier? There are two entrances that are in the upper register (D and F# above middle C). Another fly in the ointment is that I am COVID positive and cannot play for few more days until off restrictions. I have
never been a big mouthpiece buzzer but now may be time to start.
I currently use a G&W Baer MMVI Euro shank.
Thanks in advance!
B & S PT-20P - Huss and Dalton CM acoustic cutaway guitar
Tabert
bugler
bugler

Re: CC tuba for Franck "The Accursed Huntsman".

Post by Tabert »

If it's a community group, why not just play those bars down an octave? The 3rd trombone part doesn't jump down an octave on the ends of the runs anyway.
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Post by GeoffC_UK »

Morning
The most basic mp rule is go shallower (in cup) and smaller (in inner rim diameter) to ease heading into the upper register.
That being said, and if it were me, I would not change mouthpieces just for one piece of music.
I would also avoid practicing and playing in the high register, all of the time, as it could damage my embouchure.
Even, when playing high, I would ensure that at the conclusion, I would play quietly and in the low register for 3-5 minutes before putting my horn away. This helps to de-stress the embouchure and reduce risk of long-term damage.
(It happened to me last spring and it took 3 months to get better, so watch out).
I would listen to the Overture (poem) online and see where down-the-octave is ok and where up-the-octave is really needed.
I would also ask other players to cover for me where I couldn't hit those high entries.
This would be what I would do, but you need to plan something that'll work for you.
Hope you get sorted.
Geoff

PS. my band (Brit brass-type) recorded the Overture some years back: https://youtu.be/aEMUAtQX9ek
deputysgttuba
bugler
bugler

Post by deputysgttuba »

Thanks for the replies!
I simply left those two passages off since they are tutti with the trombones and the recordings I listened to had no obvious tuba timbre of any discernible sort. The performance went very well.
B & S PT-20P - Huss and Dalton CM acoustic cutaway guitar
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Several things. As one person already suggested, do yourself a BIG favor by playing the descending figure after rehearsal letter "F" down an octave. You could even take the descending run before letter "C" down an octave as well, and very few people would be wise to it. Second, ignore that "fff" marking before letter "C" (that may not be in your part anyway, as it appear to have been penciled in). Since you're playing this on a contrabass, a solid forte will suffice. Third, I agree with those who say to use a shallower mouthpiece - possibly even an F/Eb type mouthpiece. However, a Conn 7B Helleberg would probably work fine. You won't need to rattle the walls a la Bruckner. This is French music, so you want clarity and a tad of brilliance. My last bit of advice is to get off the ties, where you have a dotted eighth tied over to an eighth. Use those ties to catch a very quick breath. This whole section is easier than it may first appear. Play it 'musically', and don't try to get ribbons pinned on your jacket for peeling the paint back on the walls. There's no need for that here.