A Tuba to Cuba (Documentary)

The bulk of the musical talk
Craig Garner
bugler
bugler

A Tuba to Cuba (Documentary)

Post by Craig Garner »

Recently, I re-watched a documentary called "A Tuba to Cuba." A Tuba to Cuba is a 2018 film about the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. The leader of New Orleans' famed Preservation Hall Jazz Band seeks to fulfill the dream of his late father (a tuba player) by retracing their musical roots to the shores of Cuba in search of the indigenous music that gave birth to New Orleans jazz.

It's a great story, and of course there is great music! (I am not involved with this production in any way, I just liked the film!!)

You should be able to find it for free on various streaming services.
It's Mardi Gras season....go get your jazz fix.
Craig Garner
Dorm 40 Music
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: A Tuba to Cuba (Documentary)

Post by iiipopes »

Please forgive me, I can't resist. Yes, a great documentary. But I must confess that the song first recorded by the Revelers in 1931 and made famous by Bill Bell comes to mind: When Yuba Plays the Rumba on the Tuba. Rumba, of course, being one of the Cuban indigenous genres, can be described as a little bit smoother or linear as compared to something like a bossa, which is very up-and-down in its feel.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoD_8qDU4Jw[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cERkvm2ItxI[/youtube]
I am always bemused when a conductor will ask me to "play something Latin..." I ask, OK, do you want a samba, a bossa, a rumba, a tango, a salsa, a mambo, a... only to get the reply, "Whatever, just play something." Then I have to look at the chart and even have to listen how the horns are interpreting it so I can provide the proper foundation, hoping the drummer is versed in the differences as well. This is best illustrated by the two recordings: the 1931 original is closer to an authentic Rumba, while Bill Bell's version is just straight ahead swing.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.