Re: Rare design

Post by circusboy »

That's crazy!
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

This valve layout is far from new, it was not uncommon in the 1830s and 40s. Often found on french horns and rotary cornets, less often on low brass.
ginnboonmiller
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ginnboonmiller »

Snake Charmer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:20 am This valve layout is far from new, it was not uncommon in the 1830s and 40s. Often found on french horns and rotary cornets, less often on low brass.
But... I mean.... this is a 21st century build. I mean... I... It's fair to say that functional Model T's are rare and unusual. Isn't it? They were everywhere once! So were dodos!

I'm super curious if this works. It seems to me that it eliminates a LOT of sharp angles, and I bet you can feel that when you play it. I also can't seem to trace the lever that this horn has on the back, between the st and second valves. Is that a main slide trigger?
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

The lever on the back looks like a first valve kicker.
Airflow should be better than on standard rotary horns, but I wonder if there were other disadvantages of this design other to being more complicated to produce. Maybe it just went out of fashion for looking different.
I like the easy airflow of my berlin valve F-tuba, but these are dodos as well :)
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

A quick search gave a.o. the following "link"....Perhaps for who is interested and able to understand the technical research results......:

Professor Roger Grundmann - Technical University Dresden (Germany) has published about the subject. Sorry, publications/articles too complicated for me.
The German company Preimbtner Blasinstrumentenbau produces instruments with "asymetrical valves" on the basis of Grundmanns research.
Hubert