Trying to track down king contra

The bulk of the musical talk
sutadarkside
lurker
lurker

Trying to track down king contra

Post by sutadarkside »

Greetings all, I know this is a strange request, and a long shot, but I’m hopeful someone here may be able to help. I’m trying to track down and hopefully purchase either of the tubas/contras I used at phantom regiment in 2006-2008. I have already contacted the corps leadership from those years and they said the horns were most likely sent back to conn selmer at the end of the seasons they were used for. I would contact conn and king next, but I can’t find any contact info for them. Everything on their site just redirects to a different part of their website, or says contact your local dealer/repair shop. Does anyone have a contact at king I could email, or know of a way to get in touch with someone who may know what happened to the horns after they were returned, or have any other info about this model? I would also be very interested in any list of serial numbers from those years as I remember the last part of my serial numbers, but not the whole thing. These were the first of this model made, and I don’t imagine they make THAT many contras each year, so if there was a list, I should be able to figure it out.

I know that after almost 20 years they likely don’t have them anymore, and they may have changed hands many times to schools or individuals, and I may keep running into dead ends, but I’m looking for anything I can find at this point.

My understanding is that the 2006 horns were the prototype for the king 1151, these are very distinct as they only had 2 c shaped braces between the body and the bell, and had an additional straight brace welded on closest to the bell at the end of the season. The 07/08 horn would’ve been one of the first production runs and had 3 c shaped braces similar to the current model. Both horns would also have the older style wrap where the lead pipe continued behind the valves rather than in front of them. I would be interested in knowing when that switch was made as well in case I can’t find the exact horns I’m looking for I could find the most similar one possible.

Again, I know it’s a long shot, but if anyone has anything that could help, or any suggestions for where to continue my search, I would greatly appreciate it.
RobSol87
lurker
lurker

Re: Trying to track down king contra

Post by RobSol87 »

@sutadarkside. The contras you’re referring to were purchased by Teal Sound and used for their 2006-2007 seasons. The corps then purchased Jupiter’s “Quantum” line as replacement for the King horns for the 2008 season and that’s what they were playing on when the corps folded. The last I knew Sun Devils All Age DBC was using them but they were mostly in disrepair.
tadawson
bugler
bugler

Re: Trying to track down king contra

Post by tadawson »

https://cn.conn-selmer.com/en-us/about/contact-us

Has both mailing address as well as a phone number. You could also try directory information for Elkhart IN where they are located.