POST YOUR LOW BRASS SECTION PHOTO HERE

The bulk of the musical talk
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: POST YOUR LOW BRASS SECTION PHOTO HERE

Post by THE TUBA »

NDSPTuba wrote:Call me crazy, but I think they are Kalison DS's.
You're crazy. Also, you are correct.
[/post]
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AndyCat »

Fodens Brass Band Basses, 8th May 2011. Concert with Jens Lindemann at Manchester Bridgewater Hall

From L-R, Andy Warriner (Besson 994GS BBb), Andy Cattanach (LMI Royal BBb), Matt Hindle, Stewart Baglin (Besson 982 EEb's)
Andy Cattanach, UK
Fodens Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2016), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, Yeo Signature Mouthpieces.
Steve Sykes UK
bugler
bugler

Post by Steve Sykes UK »

Tuba section at the recent Brass Band Aid 'Brass for Africa Celebrity Band' concert in Kettering UK.
L/R Phil Goodwin (Black Dyke), Matt Wade (Brighouse & Rastrick, ex Fodens), Steve Sykes, John Gillam (ex Black Dyke/Brighouse & Rastrick).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bentuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by bentuba7 »

Interlochen Arts Academy ORchestra playing Wagner's Lohengrin, Mahler's Totenfeier, and Mason Bates' The B Sides

From L-R: Kens Lui (tenor)
Zongxi Li (tenor)
Katie Nagel (bass)
Ben Darneille (tuba)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

Most recent One More Time Marching Band Tuba Section:

Georgia Rennie and Ally House
twobas.JPG
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Teubonium »

Chuck Hoffman (me) and Rich Hruda at a Denver Concert Band gig in Highlands Ranch, CO. Both euphs are Besson 967s.
DenverPost20110516.jpg
Last edited by Teubonium on Tue May 17, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bach Strad 36BO Sakbutt
Besson 967 Euph
MW2141 Eb
Kanstul 33s BBb
NDSPTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NDSPTuba »

Met Winds low brass in 2009 at the Meyerson. Left to right Me with Kalison 2000 Pro, Jarod with MW 2000( new Principle tubist with Oklahoma City Sym. ), and Chris( I think sorry ) with MW 2155.
Kalison 2000 Pro
G&W Taku
muttenstrudel
bugler
bugler

Post by muttenstrudel »

My marching band/wind band tuba section at the Schützenfest in Dinklage last year:

I am the guy on the very right with that nice smile. ;-)

BTW: The tuba on the very left side will be celebrating it's 100th anniversary in 2014. 8)

Regards,

Uwe
Regards,

Uwe

Knoth F 6V (1950's)
Conn 99J CC 5V (2009)
B&S F JBL Classic 6V (2011)
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

muttenstrudel wrote:My marching band/wind band tuba section at the Schützenfest in Dinklage last year:

BTW: The tuba on the very left side will be celebrating it's 100th anniversary in 2014. 8)

Regards,

Uwe
Four BBb tubas as they are typically seen in the Casablanca variant of Moroccan folk music!

I wonder about the reversed rotors of tour tuba, I don’t recognize that model. Who made it? And which makes are the other tubas?

Klaus
muttenstrudel
bugler
bugler

Post by muttenstrudel »

imperialbari wrote:Four BBb tubas as they are typically seen in the Casablanca variant of Moroccan folk music!

I wonder about the reversed rotors of tour tuba, I don’t recognize that model. Who made it? And which makes are the other tubas?

Klaus
These tubas are our "outdoor tubas" fur the use under heavy conditions. :) And our 5th tuba player is not pictured. He plays a Melton/MW 25.
The tuba on the very right which I just hold while the others play :) is a Jupiter 778L on which the rotors are assembled reverse so they are pulled not pushed. I believe the tuba is built this way to make it as small as possible. But I sold it end of last year.
The tuba next to me (second from the right) is an old Kaiserbass, unfortunately with only three valves, manufacturer unknown.
Third from the right is a Chinese horn.
And on the very left you see an old horn which was built in 1914 as an military tuba for an infantry regiment based in Hannover. The engraving is barely readable after a lousy general overhaul that was done to it because it was almost polished away. I am sorry but I can't remember the manufaturer's name.
This tuba survived two world wars and some really extremely non-caring musicians. When I became a member in this maching band the stories about this tuba where still told when the musicians sat together after having played a gig, drinking their beer.
One example: In the early 50's no one owned a car so the musicians rode their bikes to every gig they had to play. After playing many pieces and many beers and a lot of schnaps the band members made their way home from a neighbor town, approx. 10 miles away. Half the way home the tuba guy had to take a little brake to take care of his human needs. So he took the tuba of his back, did what he had to do and got back on his bike. The only problem was that he was standing at a creeek and the tuba tipped over and dived so he didn't see it anymore. Out of sight, out of mind.
Next morning he realised that he didn't bring the tuba home but he didn't dare to tell his wife. He had to wait for two days when she was off long enough for him to get the tuba back. Thanks god he remembered the spot where it got lost. With a rake he had brought with him he found it after a short while, still taking a bath under water.
It was dented, scratched, the bell folded up, the valve section damaged, it fell out a bus, tipped over a hundred times but it survived every musician so far. 8)

The tuba got new minibal linkages in 2008 and is still fun to play because it blows very easily, has a nice crisp sound and weighs only 6.5 kilogramms, approx. 14 lbs. it's still everybody's darling and is used on a regularly basis for marching purposes.

And for the Moroccan part: :mrgreen:

Regards,

Uwe
Regards,

Uwe

Knoth F 6V (1950's)
Conn 99J CC 5V (2009)
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

muttenstrudel wrote: And for the Moroccan part: :mrgreen:

Regards,

Uwe
Last I looked Casablanca was in Morocco. So I when I see Casablanca on the wall, I just conclude from that.

Great story about the old tuba!

I haven’t been able to find a translation for muttenstrudel, but I am quite happy the first letter isn’t n.

Is Dinklage on the road from Hamburg to the Netherlands?

DIN is Deutsches Institut für Normung, so Dinklage simply is the town where all the DIN-related complaints end up?

Klaus
NDSPTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NDSPTuba »

tuben wrote:
NDSPTuba wrote:Jarod with MW 2000( new Principle tubist with Oklahoma City Sym. )
Did Ted Cox retire?

Not sure, I just read in the audition section that Jarod won the audition. Of course I did read that a month or two ago, so I might of mistook the Symphony, but I think I'm correct.
Kalison 2000 Pro
G&W Taku
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

I have posted a rear view of the California Repercussions before, but this is a recent pic from our performance in the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee 2011 - a section feature doing an arrangement of Baby Elephant Walk. With choreography.
baby ele sacto.jpg
muttenstrudel
bugler
bugler

Post by muttenstrudel »

imperialbari wrote:
muttenstrudel wrote: And for the Moroccan part: :mrgreen:

Regards,

Uwe
Last I looked Casablanca was in Morocco. So I when I see Casablanca on the wall, I just conclude from that.

Great story about the old tuba!

I haven’t been able to find a translation for muttenstrudel, but I am quite happy the first letter isn’t n.

Is Dinklage on the road from Hamburg to the Netherlands?

DIN is Deutsches Institut für Normung, so Dinklage simply is the town where all the DIN-related complaints end up?

Klaus

Now I got you: Casablanca is the name of the band playing that night. I didn't notice that it is in the picture. :oops:

My nick was developed during a 22h bus ride. To make a long story short: It is derived from the lower German dialect in which a "Mutten" is a female pig which has some piglets. And we were talking about Apfelstrudel, had a several beers, and the word was created. I can assure that it is absolutely suitable for all ages. :wink:

If you drive from Hamburg to the Netherlands you get pretty close to our beautiful little town. It is located directly at the Autobahn A1. But we don't have anything to do with the DIN. That's the business of DINkelsbühl? Or DINslaken? I can't remember...

Regards,

Uwe
Regards,

Uwe

Knoth F 6V (1950's)
Conn 99J CC 5V (2009)
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves

Post by David Richoux »

muttenstrudel wrote:My marching band/wind band tuba section at the Schützenfest in Dinklage last year:
snip

Regards,

Uwe
So i did a google search on that festival - this fun Youtuba popped up!

What is the festival about? Is it a Summer party or later? I don't find much information...
muttenstrudel
bugler
bugler

Post by muttenstrudel »

David Richoux wrote:So i did a google search on that festival - this fun Youtuba popped up!

What is the festival about? Is it a Summer party or later? I don't find much information...
Hi David,

it is a party which has it's traditions in the old "landwehr" (or militia) in the 14th and 15th century which were formed by farmers and craftsmen to provide a minimum of security to the people living in the rural areas against deserted and "unemployed" soldiers, bandits and other unfriendly persons. To make this landwehr more efficient an annual shooting fest was celebrated. A bird was put on top of a tall pole, and the marksmen of the landwehr had to shoot at it. That's why it was called "Vogelschießen". Then one who got the most important part (the crown e.g.) was the winner and became the Schützenkönig. Most Schützenfeste today are more or less in this tradition, with local differences.
The Schützenverein in Dinklage is not really old. It was founded in 1872 when romantic ideas like the noble life of the knights became poular again, mainly to create a connection between the old lost empire (Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation) and the Kaiserreich, newly founded in 1871. But till today we have a nice annual fest (with some exceptions due to war) in which the entire town is involved. During these three days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday; always the 4th sunday in July) it's hard to do business or to find some folks who actually work. :)
An example for a really old society is the "Schützengilde Wildeshausen" (30 miles north of Dinklage) which is believed to be founded in 1355 (some sources mention the year 1333 (!)), still existing today and having a party for one week around pentecost every year. :shock: The "Official Founding Year" of 1403 was set arbitrarily in 1903 because the duchy of Oldenburg celebrated an anniversary in that year, too. The members at that time just wanted to have a nice number, too. The Schützengilde still has some very old structures like a kind of a "death benefit" which is paid by the Schützengilde to the relatives/family of a passed away member.

The video on youtuba you've found is from another Schützenfest in a very little village, about 10 miles from my hometown. It's a terrific party though because there's no excuse not to be there if you happen to live there. :) The video was shot in the evening time when the new Schützenkönig has been proclaimed. I don't want anyone to think that we are all heavy drinkers but a Schützenfest without beer (very much beer) is not half the fun. :!:

There are two links, one leading to the Schützenverein Dinklage (my hometown), one to the Schützengilde Wildeshausen. The are both only in German, sorry. But Google may help you somewhat.

Regards,

Uwe

http://www.schuetzenverein-dinklage.de/
http://www.wildeshauser-schuetzengilde.de/
Regards,

Uwe

Knoth F 6V (1950's)
Conn 99J CC 5V (2009)
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves

Post by David Richoux »

Thanks for the info, Uwe - I have been reading about the history of all sorts of festivals around the world (there is such a long tradition, and beer of some sort is usually involved ;-) )

Dave Richoux
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

I clearly remember the Schützenfeste when I lived in Germany from 1947 through 1958. The parades through the townships from home to home of the official of the rifflemen’s organisation more were about Korn than about beer. In one town it was the fire brigade band leading the procession like with another festival with its mounted parades, Ringreiten, where the horsemen should catch a small ring with a lance while cantering under a beam from where the ring was hung. Another town had no band, but hired one from outside, which had to do its tent concerts without the piccolo and the snare, as these had to lead the honour parade whenever a bullet hit the bird.

On a tour in 1963 we by accident landed in the turmoil and closed streets of Hannover, where a huge Landes-Schützenfest took place. Lots of foreign guest bands and German bands, plus insane numbers of rifflemen.

We have similar bird shootings here in Denmark, only they are much less popular and street parades are not a part of the game.

Klaus
P@rick
bugler
bugler

Post by P@rick »

imperialbari wrote: Is Dinklage on the road from Hamburg to the Netherlands?...
Please don't make fun of my country's size :wink:

I Know it's small, but you won't cross Dinklage when you go to the northern parts of the Netherlands :mrgreen:
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

No fun intended whatsoever!

The two times I were in the Netherlands I crossed the Elbe in Hamburg, and went on roads south of Bremen and of Oldenburg into the northern part of the Netherlands. I didn’t know about Dinklage until I looked it up in the context of this thread. So I only asked whether I unwittingly had been close to Dinklage.

Klaus