Valve Oil for Euphoniums

The bulk of the musical talk
Ryan_Beucke
3 valves
3 valves

Re:

Post by Ryan_Beucke »

For many horns with more broken in horns, it doesn't make much of a difference what oil you use as long as you use it properly. However, newer yamaha horns have really tight valves and also the alloy used is a bit finicky. I found on my 642 that the best oil was the Hetmans #1. Here's how you can make sure your valves will work well though.

Clean the horn often, I like once a month, but once every 3 months is probably the most I'd let it go. Make sure you clean everything well, and then let it all air dry. If you insist on using a cloth, make sure it's lint free. Make sure the valves are absolutely dry. Add you oil liberally, making sure the valve and casing are soaked. Work the oil in. Then, every day that you play, apply oil. That way they will stay in their best shape, and the oil being applied every day will prevent other stuff from getting on them.
dave
bugler
bugler

Post by dave »

I use Binak Pro on my Hirsbrunner, and have since new. No problems with maintenance, a little goes a long way. I also use the binak tuning slide grease.

-Dave
elimia
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Valve Oil for Euphoniums

Post by elimia »

Brandon Jones wrote:Just curious as to which brand of valve oil you euphonium players use and why. Specifically on a Yamaha 642. I've been told so many different things, and mainly, they all pretty much feel the same once you get your valves broken in. I've used everything from Al Cass to Hetman Light Piston #1, Space Filler, and the standard Yamaha oil that it came with. Let me know your opinions. Maybe there's something I'm not looking for or missing here!
I use Hetman's #2 on a Yamaha 641