Conn 10J BBb Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Conn 10J BBb Tuba

Post by eupher61 »

eupher61 wrote:
J.c. Sherman wrote:Didn't one of Sam Pilafian's former teachers (a woman in Florida) get pictured with one of these for her orcherstra photo?

J.c.
That would be Connie Weldon, one of the great unsung heroes (ok, heroines for those who insist) of low brass. I didn't know until somewhat recently that she played in the KC Philharmonic in the early 50s...another great musician who got started here (well, she'd done lots of playing before that too) along with Alan Kofsky and Dale Clevenger.

I can't find the classic picture of her, but it seems familiar to see that horn with her. I dunno if it was her "orchestra" picture or not, though.
I'd forgotten to mention Bob Eliason, too...he played in KC Phil for 12 years or so after Connie Weldon left. While he didn't make a name as a player elsewhere, he did fine for himself!
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

My 10J in action. Enjoy :tuba:
https://youtu.be/indVXxJhZlY" target="_blank" target="_blank

Got the car loaded up with the holiday essentials. Presents and a 10J for Christmas gig.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

I sold my 10J recently. Was a nice little silver horn in pretty good shape. It deserved to be played more than I played it so it went to a middle school boy. He'd been playing one of the Eastman knock offs of the Yamaha 105. He couldn't believe how much better the Conn played. I miss it but I'm glad it has a new home where it will be played like it deserves. :)
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

edsel585960 wrote:I sold my 10J recently. Was a nice little silver horn in pretty good shape. It deserved to be played more than I played it so it went to a middle school boy. He'd been playing one of the Eastman knock offs of the Yamaha 105. He couldn't believe how much better the Conn played. I miss it but I'm glad it has a new home where it will be played like it deserves. :)
Yes that was a nice horn. Perfect for a young player. Hopefully he keeps it that nice looking and takes care of it. Sounds like it's in good hands. Band kids can be destructive to school owned horns but I bought a Conn in middle school as well and got it looking and playing like new. Anyway I love this little horn!! It's my go-to to throw in the car and go.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

TUbajohn20J wrote:
edsel585960 wrote:I sold my 10J recently. Was a nice little silver horn in pretty good shape. It deserved to be played more than I played it so it went to a middle school boy. He'd been playing one of the Eastman knock offs of the Yamaha 105. He couldn't believe how much better the Conn played. I miss it but I'm glad it has a new home where it will be played like it deserves. :)
Yes that was a nice horn. Perfect for a young player. Hopefully he keeps it that nice looking and takes care of it. Sounds like it's in good hands. Band kids can be destructive to school owned horns but I bought a Conn in middle school as well and got it looking and playing like new. Anyway I love this little horn!! It's my go-to to throw in the car and go.
His dad is a musician so I'm pretty sure he will take care of it. He was so happy to get his own horn. My throw in the car and go horn now is an Olds 991 I picked up recently. A little bigger than the 10 J. The Olds can sure make some noise though. :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.