miraphone prices rising?

The bulk of the musical talk
manatee
bugler
bugler

Re: well

Post by manatee »

Rick "wondering if Conn-Selmer is smart enough to take advantage of the current situation" Denney[/quote]

I would sure hope so. I would love to buy American, but unfortunately, for the reasons we all know, my best tuba(s) and bass trombone are made by Yamaha.

:(
rascaljim
pro musician
pro musician

Post by rascaljim »

Does miraphone have their design for the 186 under copywrite? The reason I ask is because there are also tubas by Meinl Weston 25(not as close as the others but still similar) as well as Yamaha 641 that are similar to the 186 design as well. Also, what came first, the miraphone or the MW?

Food for thought
Jim
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Doc wrote:Seems to me that over the last few years, as European prices have gone up, so have the American prices. Why, other than because they can? There's no real need for American prices to grow exponentially. Sounds like gouging or "keeping up with the Jones'".

OR, have I misinterpreted something.
Remember that price and cost are only related in one direction--that price has to be higher than cost. Other than that, price is controlled by the market.

I wrote in more detail on this subject a while back:

http://www.chisham.com/tips/bbs/may2001 ... 54571.html

Rick "who thinks things sell for what people will pay" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

rascaljim wrote:Does miraphone have their design for the 186 under copywrite? The reason I ask is because there are also tubas by Meinl Weston 25(not as close as the others but still similar) as well as Yamaha 641 that are similar to the 186 design as well. Also, what came first, the miraphone or the MW?

Food for thought
Jim
You can't copyright a design. Copyrights are for expressions, not designs, and not products.

You can patent a product, but it has to show something unique that makes it no longer general knowledge that's in the public domain. The Miraphone 186 has been on the market since the 60's, and even if it was patented the patents would have expired by now (they last for 14 years and can be renewed once for another 14 years). The 186 design is in the public domain at this point.

The 191 design is not, but the question is two-fold: 1.) is there something about the 191 that sufficiently breaks new ground to be patentable? And 2.) can such a patent be enforced? Answer is probably no in both cases.

Rick "who knows what it takes to get a patent, and also why it can't be enforced in China" Denney
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

rascaljim wrote: Also, what came first, the miraphone or the MW?
Cerveny. And the IP rights ran out on that design a LONG time ago. I'm no [edit-- I said copyright, but Rick's right, it should be 'patent'] attorney, but I'd bet that all Jin Bao has to do to avoid an infringement case is to slightly change the name, and slightly change the design. Move a ferrule a half-inch, for example. Just about anything to make it "different".
bugler

Post by KevinBock »

I've got to admit this is probably the best discussion in terms of intelligence on tubenet that I can ever recall and it actually drove me to think about things a bit which is shocking since it was inspired by a large group of tuba players :shock: . But one thing I'd like to bring up is that this year is a HUGE audition year and for those diehard miraphone fans with their hearts set on 1291s the price may drop a little after we see the kind of equipment that wins Philly, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Colorado, and the Marine Band. Definitely going to be a very interesting time for us all.
james
pro musician
pro musician

my guess

Post by james »

My guess is that these auditions will be won on a tuba with at least four valves with a player behind it who is in total control......
going back to the product demand thing....I would be curious how many people have purchased a 1291 by simply ordering it from Brasswind having never played it simply because of it's endorsement. I think we would all be shocked at this number. THIS drives price up. Ever enquired into buying a Gronitz? Last I checked, no trial period with all money paid up front. Unless of course you fly to San Jose to test them when they come in(which could be next week or six months). And the only Meinl Weston price increase mentioned is the MW2000 which again, has been said to leave the store as soon as it arrives(at least until this last price increase). The other models have seen very little increase. To put it in perspective.....If your local car dealer couldn't keep a certain model on the lot because people were ordering them having never test driven them, do you think the dealer would raise his prices? Of course he would. Ordering a car without test driving it sound absurd? Why is it so common for an even more personal purchase such as a musical instrument? Wouldn't you be better off trying a horn out and making sure the in's and outs and all there for you and not the local symphony guy. These players can be wonderful guides in helping you find an instrument but it should still be a personal choice. For example, in my most recent purchase (after time with many different brands and models)I picked an instrument that is played by many and known for high consistency in production. However, I went through a batch of EIGHT before finding one that had the intonation and right sound I was looking for. Would the company have sent me that same horn had I let them choose for me? They may have sent the one the salesman sounded the best on but is it automatic it will be that way for everyone? Just some thoughts for those out there thinking of purchasing an instrument.
manatee
bugler
bugler

Post by manatee »

Metaphorically, Baseball players want to swing the same kind of Bat as Barry Bonds. Do they get to try them out? Hell no.
Nobody stocks large numbers of tubas except in the East or Midwest. We have to hope for the best.
Is that bat gonna make me hit bombs like Bonds? No. But it ain't gonna hurt my chances.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bloke wrote:Going back to the "low USD value" thing...

There are good and bad sides to everything.
Another response to a weak dollar is that it will once again be cost-effective to make things with U.S. labor. A strong dollar is good for consumers, but a weaker dollar is better for manufacturing workers.

Rick "thinking that's why China keeps bolstering the dollar whenever it can" Denney
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Rick Denney wrote: Another response to a weak dollar is that it will once again be cost-effective to make things with U.S. labor. A strong dollar is good for consumers, but a weaker dollar is better for manufacturing workers.

Rick "thinking that's why China keeps bolstering the dollar whenever it can" Denney
The problem this time around is that the US is a LONG way off from being the cheapest place to build things, even with a 75% drop in the value of the dollar against the Euro (which certainly will mean big-time inflation here), it's still cheaper to make things in southeast Asia.

When Japan was the big competition for manufactured goods back in the 70's and 80's, it was a different story. Japanese factory workers' salaries were not horribly out of line with their American counterparts. But with labor from the likes of China we have a different story. And China is bolstering its raw materials supplies by cutting trade agreements with countries we've either alienated or ignored.

When do you think the first Chinese-made auto wiill come up for sale here?
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Hey, I'll buy two of the new Chinese automobiles if they are as good as my new Jupiter 482 Pro-model 4p 3/4 BBb tuba. It's a very nicely-made, good-sounding, inexpensive instrument. [/quote]