3/4 BBb rotary

The bulk of the musical talk
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Re: 3/4 BBb rotary

Post by aaronliu »

I found this thread very interesting. I've started out on a 3/4 B flat rotary, and I think it has intonation issues. I'm just starting on the tuba. So far, I think that I would much rather play a compensating tuba. I would feel much more secure being able to adjust the intonation of any note immediately. I grew up as a trombone player.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Yes, a little You tube action would be nice!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Final result: the tuba is fine. Intonation and tone are nice, the supplied mouthpiece (which I think is their new Chief) is very nice. Case is nice.
However, I have found that I am no longer physically strong enough on an ongoing basis to play even a smaller tuba like this one. So I turned in my folder and dropped out of the band. I don't know what to do with the tuba; I suspect I'd be able to handle the Bombino because it is so much smaller and I have no trouble with my euph, but the Bombino is not the one I bought.
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

MaryAnn wrote:Final result: the tuba is fine. Intonation and tone are nice, the supplied mouthpiece (which I think is their new Chief) is very nice. Case is nice.
However, I have found that I am no longer physically strong enough on an ongoing basis to play even a smaller tuba like this one. So I turned in my folder and dropped out of the band. I don't know what to do with the tuba; I suspect I'd be able to handle the Bombino because it is so much smaller and I have no trouble with my euph, but the Bombino is not the one I bought.
Did you try their "Mighty Midget" ?

http://www.wessex-tubas.com/bbb-travel-tuba/

Since it is new maybe they will work with you.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The Bombino is lighter at 15lb against 16.5lb, but I don't know if that is sufficiently lighter if you are have trouble handling the Mosel. The Might Midget might be better option at only 11lb. Quite a few players, have bought to continue playing when they cannot handle full size tuba - and have been very satisfied.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Thanks. Cannot afford another instrument.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

My understanding is that it is a one week window. I have had it two weeks, and played it four times.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Contact Wessex. Ask them what's possible, and ask for what you want. Being direct is the only way to ever get what you want. The worst they'll ever say is "no."
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The return period is two weeks and always has been.

Wessex will exchange!
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

My memory mistake on the return time; I was never told one week, just remembered it incorrectly. I will be sending it today or tomorrow. I want to emphasize that there is nothing wrong with this instrument at all; it plays well in tune, and two different people who heard me play it said it has a nice sound. If someone is in a market for a 3/4 BBb rotary, you cannot go wrong with this one.

MA
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

Did you get another instrument?
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

58mark wrote:Still looking at options for a small BBb to teach lessons on, I'm tired of taking my big 601 with me, it's getting beat up

It's funny, on the Wessex website they talk about the "lightweight" Mozel, but no where to they actually say how much it weighs. Jonathan?
Upthread he said 15.68 pounds for the Mozel.

Rick "as long as we are bring up an old thread, we might as well read it" Denney
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

58mark wrote:very interesting to be, but it wouldn't fit for what I need it for
Sound like the Mighty Midget might be best for your needs?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

58mark wrote: I am still looking at the 3/4 tuba though.
Which 3/4 tuba - the Prague? That is a lot heavier than the Mosel or Midget.

The reason to buy from Wessex is one that applies to all our tubas. They are made with greater attention to quality (production management and staff know we will not accept anything but the best) and every one is carefully checked and play tested at factory by experienced musician before accepting.

Also in the case of the Prague, we have analysed intonation in conjunction with Dr.Young and made enhancements to improve.

Then although only cosmetic, Wessex have real engraving (not cheap laser engraving) not only on bell, but in the case of the latest rotary valve tubas also on the valve caps which now have the Wyvern engraved as illustrated.

Also case with more robust wheels, stronger straps, embroidered Wyvern and smart burgundy lining.

So in every respect we are attempting to make as quality and great playing tuba that we can. That is not a sales pitch, but clarifying the facts :wink:
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Cerveny Piggy BBb.
Yamaha 621 also in BBb
Lidl ??? whatever. The small one.

I know the Yamaha. It's a small axe and very easy to move about. Even in the hard case it's very easy. It's a decent horn and you can make music on it without having to deal with things like back intonation or stuffy notes that won't speak.

Having said that you know Cerveny and what to expect. It seems a logical choice.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'm interested to see any similarities between the Wessex Mosel

and Baltimore Brass "JZ" 3/4 rotary.

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

58mark wrote:The BBb piggy is a unicorn. They say they exist, but nobody has ever seen one

Is there a Bb piglet?

Edit- not a piggy, the smaller model.
Last edited by Bob Kolada on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

The same info is offered on their other site, next to the smaller bored Arion. I've no idea how that model plays.

http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve/tubas/bbb-tubas" target="_blank

Just order one.

Carpe diem.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

58mark wrote:The BBb piggy is a unicorn. They say they exist, but nobody has ever seen one

The yamaha is an option, but very overpriced, and has a weird hand position for me.

The lidl is an interesting option, I know where I can get one if I'm willing to expand my budget
A BBb piggy does exist. I did not realize they were rare. A friend,who died a year ago, had one. I tried to purchase it, but it was already gone. He struggled with it because he was not feeling very well for a number of years, but the horn had good intonation. It needed a euro shank mouthpiece. I think I could find a picture of it, if you need confirmation.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Here are the pictures I have of one. They aren't very good. The guy on the right is holding it. I can confirm that it is a piggy and it is a BBb.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5