The bulk of the musical talk
Braumeister
lurker
lurker

Airofit

Post by Braumeister »

So, this popped up in my FB feed.

https://www.airofit.com/

Does this intrigue anyone else? I’m wondering if there are benefits to be had here for tuba players especially, but wind players in general. Those that were fortunate enough to study with Mr. Jacobs; did he advocate something similar in strengthening the respiratory muscles?

And this business about increasing lung capacity seems dodgy to me. They frame it as “accessible lung capacity.” So what if you’re already using the majority of your capacity? Will that render this device less effective?

Check out the page and offer some opinions. I’m genuinely curious about this thing.
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Re: Airofit

Post by GeoffC_UK »

John Fletcher practised playing tuba without his tuba. Both finger strengthening and breathing strengthening.
My personal observation is this, I started blowing again in July 2020 after a 15 year break. In the first few months my breathing was shallow and pathetic, but in recent months it is deeper, longer, and more powerful – working muscles not used for a while.
Buying tech is a personal and affordability choice.
tubaphillips
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubaphillips »

These kind of breathing devices for running have existed for a long time. I've used them but even with daily use did not notice any results. I would suggest the breathing gym if you're looking to improve your breath control and usable capacity, but not found breathing to be a big issue in general. I'm more worried about my ears and my chops
Harry Phillips
1954 Conn Naked Lady 20K
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaBeage »

I've got a device just like it, it has a tuba on one side and a pint of beer on the other.
It works well for the first 8 pints or so then it becomes a little slurred.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

https://www.windsongpress.com/product/breath-builder/

This device, an inspiron and a breathing bag should be all you need to work on breathing. In particular, this device is very helpful in reducing stiffness in the respiratory muscles when breathing. Jake said that we have more than 600 individual muscles, almost all of which can be contracted in pairs isometrically. When the breathing in muscles contract in opposition with the blowing out muscles, we can't move air very efficiently. He used this device to apply resistance when breathing in and out.

When using the Breath Builder breathing in, the brain relaxes the blowing out muscles and when we blow out, the device forces us to relax the breathing in muscles. After a few minutes, the respiratory muscles are able to work correctly, allowing us to move air in and out freely.

This is what he meant when he said "Strength is my enemy, weakness is my friend."

I'm sure the device you are asking about has some really good applications, but seems to be much more than one needs to do what we need to use our air efficiently when playing a brass instrument.
Andy