Which 6/4 would you buy?

The bulk of the musical talk
bwtuba
bugler
bugler

Which 6/4 would you buy?

Post by bwtuba »

Hi,

Back years ago in my professional life, I owned some large horns (HB-6, MW2165, etc.) I am now officially an "old man" - 55 - and am interested in getting an "old man" tuba to inspire my interest in playing again. I am considering the Wessex, ZO, and Eastman versions. Which one would you buy? Please discuss!

Thanks so much!
TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Re: Which 6/4 would you buy?

Post by TheodoreSmith »

Id get a York 91 :D
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

If I had tp choose a 6/4 Sight unseen and purchase, I would look at the Gronitz PCK. Otherwise I would want to sit down with each. I admittedly would love to sit down the the ZO 6/4...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Out of those choices, I've heard the most positive comments for the Wessex.

Eastman seems to get a lot fo good feedback, but the sound can be a little blah.

ZO is kind of a new and unknown quantity. Might be really good, though.

But if I had to choose one of those three, based on what people I trust are telling me... Wessex.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Probably the Wessex Leviathan 6/4 compensating BBb (hand-hammered version for weight savings). I now prefer compensating tubas and do NOT want to deal with 5th valve fingerings.
Last edited by GC on Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Well, as an “older” man (63), I would feel it best to share some of my “old man wisdom” and mention that as we get older, those really big tubas are harder to hold and play. The end result might be something that inspires you to not play. Sore shoulders and arms, neck, etc. And then there is hauling the dang thing around. Up and down stairs, in and out of cars, up the street as there is no parking close by, etc. This stuff really wears on an old body. More so than playing the horn. Unless you are planning to land that big orchestral gig in your old age you might consider a good 4/4 horn that will be easier to hold and thus, more enjoyable to play. Just my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

OMG (Old Man Grant)

P.S. Glad I put this in writing as I won’t remember doing this 10 minutes from now.

P.S.S. To answer your question. I would take my friends Martin Wilk built Martin/Beuscher BBb. Huge horn, plays easy, sounds amazing. Requires 3 people to hold while you play it.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
MusicSmiths
bugler
bugler

Post by MusicSmiths »

A +1 for the Wessex Grand. I love playing it and use a Wessex playing stand with it. I'm glad to have the wheels on the case when hauling it around...
David Smith
Wessex BBb Grand (5 valve)
Wessex Festivo
YorkNumber3
pro musician
pro musician

Post by YorkNumber3 »

Played and worked on them all. Owned most of them, some a couple of times. Current new offerings? Eastman 836S. By quite a bit.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Check out the Gronitz PCK. I believe it's been suggested above. It's about as light as a big horn will ever get, and personally, I just don't like the playability of the York copies. I've played a few PCK's and they're very nice instruments. Every horn has quirks, for sure, but the Gronitz, if just choosing something as an old man tuba, is going to give you the lightest weight with the playability of a little bit smaller instrument.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

One of the larger Rudy Meinl tubas?
http://www.rudolf-meinl.de/fileadmin/te ... ospekt.pdf
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
YorkNumber3
pro musician
pro musician

Post by YorkNumber3 »

The PCK is a great all around instrument. May be a 5.5/4 which is a great thing in many instances.
bwtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bwtuba »

I've had my eye on the PCK for a long time. While I owned / played only German / Swiss horns my whole life, I'm not sure if I can justify spending $7000 - $9000 more just because it's German-made. The PCK is literally twice the price of the Wessex. Is it twice as good? I know that's really an impossible question to answer, but certainly one worth pondering. Thanks for your responses!
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Post by thejester10276 »

4 valve martin. one can dream
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Another vote for a Rudy Meinl here.
bwtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bwtuba »

a friend of mine had the big CC 5/4 Rudy in college and he sounded great on it. I just am not a fan of rotary valves anymore since switching to pistons 20 or so years ago. Rudy doesn't make a big piston CC unless I am mistaken. And if they did, it would probably be in the $15K+ range. But I would also be a fan! :)
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamarc8891 »

I love my Wessex Chicago Presence. Couldn’t recommend it enough.
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

I'd vote for the Eastman, hands down. They are really nice horns made by a quality company.

Play a bunch of the 836s if you can, as they are handmade instruments and each has its own character.

Mine is one of the first 6 released for sale back in early 2018, and the quality is superb, especially the valves. I've heard they've only gotten better as the years have gone by.
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

I love my ZO Thunderbird. Give it a try.
RITuba
lurker
lurker

Post by RITuba »

Hi , To be fair I would have to first try the different horns you have mentioned , considering the price of each , how they play and which one feels right for you , and the horn you really want to own and enjoy playing ,, hope this helps ,,best of luck to you ! :tuba:
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I'm really into the Wessex 6/4s right now. I have both the presence and the York models.