Perantucci 13 Mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
Yoshi
bugler
bugler

Perantucci 13 Mouthpiece

Post by Yoshi »

Hi, I am trying to figure out what PT13 (old Perantucci) would be equivalent in modern Perantucci mouthpieces. Does any one know anything about this mouthpiece?

I found two threads about old Perantucci mouthpieces, but neither mentioned about PT13.

viewtopic.php?t=41237
viewtopic.php?t=85388

Thank you in advance for any info!
Serwatowski
lurker
lurker

Re: Perantucci 13 Mouthpiece

Post by Serwatowski »

I played the PT-13 for a few years (round). From what I remember, it was 32.5mm wide with a 8.3mm throat. I believe it was also advertised as a cross between a funnel cup (American style) & rounded cup (German style) mouthpiece. Someone with an old Custom Music mouthpiece brochure would be able to confirm this and maybe more.
Last edited by Serwatowski on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
bugler
bugler

Post by Yoshi »

Thanks for the info! That's an interesting size. Throat is rather large (8.3mm = 0.3268 inch), but inner rim (23.5 mm = 0.925 inch) may be similar to contemporary trombone mouthpiece! How did you like it? Did you use it on F or Eb tuba? Is it good for high range playing?
Yoshi
bugler
bugler

Post by Yoshi »

I asked the original question, since I had a chance to purchase PT-13, and I did (& just got it few hours ago). Rim diameter is roughly around 32.5 mm (1.2795 inch), so 23.5mm must have been a typo (which happens to anyone).

Rim diameter was slightly different size than what I imagined, but it turned out as a really good surprise. It is a good mouthpiece (as Serwatowski also mentioned), and it worked perfectly on my Bb tuba (For me, PT13 worked better than PT50 and Rudy Meinl 0. ...YMMV).

PT13 seems lighter in terms of weight, and looks slightly deeper than PT50!? I wonder what was written in the old catalogue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

From the chart in this thread, it does not appear the #13 carried over to the new system:

viewtopic.php?t=41237&p=358423

Mr. Tucci is a very approachable gentleman, who sometimes contributes to the forums. We have had excellent informal discussions on everything from tubas, to comparing the tuba throat/venturi to a carburetor (he is a Mopar guy as well), to other topics.

You can always email him. If you do, please let us know what he tells you the specs are. I have a personal interest, because I am always interested in any mouthpiece that has @ 32.5 mm I.D. cup diameter, if it also has a 8.2 mm (.323, "P" drill bit size) throat.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Yoshi
bugler
bugler

Post by Yoshi »

I will try and contact him, and will share what I find out, once I receive any information about this mouthpiece!
Tubatooter
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubatooter »

I just wrote him via his web site about a different question, and got a very quick reply.
Yoshi
bugler
bugler

Post by Yoshi »

Below is what I found out about old model Pt-13 mouthpiece (which was not included in the current numbering system).

Cup diameter: 32.50 mm
Throat bore: 8.00 mm
Cup: Medium depth and "apple" shaped

Thank you Mr Tucci for the information!