Wessex Berg Mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Wessex Berg Mouthpiece

Post by MKTuba »

Hello everyone! I am writing to ask what mouthpieces people enjoy playing on their Wessex Berg F tubas (or any small rotor f tuba for that matter). I currently am rocking a pt64, but am looking to change for a variety of reasons. In general I want to have an easier, larger sound on the f tuba that is hard to achieve with my current setup. Also, I would like something that offers a little more flexibility while I play.

I am leaning towards a Denis Wick AT6U. I don't have any experience with the Wick Tuba MP's, however was a big fan of the Wick Euphonium mouthpieces. I would also consider other Perantucci (or robert tucci) Bass tuba mouthpieces, however would like to explore other options. I would like gold plated mouthpieces.

I will also post in the Wanting to buy/ Seeking page.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State
chtulhu
bugler
bugler

Re: Wessex Berg Mouthpiece

Post by chtulhu »

When I owned my berg I really enjoyed the Bobo solo, helleberg 7b, and for a darker sound a prototype H1L I got. Out of those I liked the Bobo solo the best. I have now switched to a 822F and a bloke solo piece. I didn’t get a chance to try the solo on the Berg much but from what I remembered I really liked it too.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

In my limited experience with the Berg F tuba I remember trying a Wedge 26H (which is like a Laskey 28H) and liking the broader sound. I must admit I really love the Bobo solo on my current F tuba and my previous Meinl Weston 46. You may consider smaller and a different approach, or asking Phil what he thinks. Good luck man!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Brandon. The bobo solo is incredibly small (if I’m not mistaken) but I am curious about the inner rim diameter. Is it particularly sharp?

I’ll totally talk to professor sinder about this at some point, I just don’t like using up our already limited lesson time!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Yes Michael, the cup is shallow and the bore size is also quite small but the rim is pretty wide! The inner bite is sharper than the Perantucci line but I dare say it's more comfortable with the rim being much thicker.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

Try a PT/RT 65 for a bigger sound. Best wishes
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

I would consider the pt65 for sure! Does anybody know the big differences between the 64 and 65?

Brandon, I may have to give it a shot! Thank you!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

PT and RT-64 and 65

Post by Robert Tucci »

The 64 and 65 use the same cup. The 64 has a narrow rim, the 65 has a semi-cushion rim. The backbores are different: the 64 is optimized for fast response, a clear clear sound and extended range playing. The 65 has a rounder, darker sound. Both project well. Please review my remarks on a new RT mouthpiece, the RT-62, posted today.

Please note: PT mouthpieces offered in the U.S. are not of my manufacture.

Bob Tucci
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

Thanks for the reply bob! I appreciate your insight, and will have to try and find a pt65, and 62 to try out!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s