Besson 995

The bulk of the musical talk
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Besson 995

Post by MKTuba »

Hello all! I am writing to try and gain some information about the Besson 995 cc tuba! I don't know very much about it at all, and am hoping to gain some new knowledge!

What I do know: It is considered a 4/4 CC tuba, and people have compared it to a Nirchl 4/4 CC. It is the standard 4p1r configuration, and appears to be a relatively uncommon choice for CC tubas.

What I want to know: everything else!

Sorry if this is repeating old threads, I just wanted to potentially start up some new conversations!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Re: Besson 995

Post by Snake Charmer »

It is a Nirschl 4/4. He sold the design to Besson. I am not sure where the Besson was/is produced, but if it is still in Walter N.'s factory in Geretsried (bm Symphonic, ex Boehm&Meinl) this may explain the low numbers. I once had one (pre-Besson), it took me some months of daily phonecalls to get it (and without the modifications I ordered).
Great playing horn, big sound, easy intonation. Not so good: ergonomics. Wide valve spacing and very heavy valves (requiring heavy springs!) was enough reason for me to sell it after some years. It also has the odd York-style leadpipe angle.
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the information!

I understand this may be a hard to answer question, but what do you think would be a more common horn that this tuba sounds like? For instance, I often hear people say “it sounds like a pt6 but with xyz”. Is there a similar comparison you could make with the 995?
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

OK, let me try to remember...
When I bought my Nirschl in the late 90s I was looking for something bigger than my Besson Eb. I always liked the Conn 4/4 CC (but don't ask me for a model number), for buying it was a match between the Conn, the MW 2145 and the Nirschl. The Nirschl won for having the best sound (with me!) according to my "buying jury" (my mom and my wife :D ). She was very free blowing with a solid low register. I am not sure if the Besson 995 is still identical to the original Nirschl I had, I think I spotted some minor changes when I looked at the first 995 but this was 20 years ago... I think she is quite comparable to the MW 2145 and the Yamaha YCB822 Custom in sound and playability. (But I never got warm with any Yamaha tuba except the 621 F, and this one has horrible ergonomics as well!)
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I might add that the 995 has a weird lead pipe compared to the Nirschl. If you look at both side-by-side, that’s the most noticeable difference. It’s got a large bend in it whereas the Nirschl is more like it’s 6/4 brothers. You’ll also find that the Bessons, if and when they come up for sale, will nearly always sell for less money than the comparable Nirschl. Likely due to the name, but also because I’ve heard from owners in the past that they’re not built nearly as well as the Nirschl and really sport some funky intonation likely due to the different leadpipe. Some of that is hear-say, but they’re rare enough that there isn’t a whole lot of information out there about them.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

That makes complete sense honestly. The nirschl horns (to my knowledge) are 100% handmade by walter nirschl, whereas I believe besson horns are machine made and hand assembled (don't quote me on that!).

Them selling lower also has the benefit of them being bought at lower prices. I am not too seriously considering the 995 (my ideal move right now would be a rotor pt-6) but if one came up for the right price I would at least give it a try!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

Scubatuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Scubatuba »

Ok, so the Besson's since 2006 are made in Germany at Meinl/B&S. I would consider it a large 4/4 btw. You may find it very challenging to a 3198. Also, the lead pipe was lifted off the bell which gave it a lot more clarity and quicker attack. The tuning was much improved over the English model. It is a great tuba and has plenty of guts! It was decided by bean counters that it was no longer necessary to have in the catalog with the merger of Meinl, B&S and Besson. :(