The bulk of the musical talk
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

The next round of tubas...

Post by Matt G »

Okay...

Brasswind:

These guys seem to have the better quality chinese stuff. Mainly in the form of a 186 and 191 mirafone look-a-like.

They also have "Barrington" tubas. These look interesting from the picture. They really don't look chinese, but who knows? Smal tubas however, but pretty darn cheap.

Custom Music:

Well they do show the new 4/4 york copy as a horn for sale in the tuba rag. Of course what the factory labels the GR-41, they call the PT-606. These guys are crafty :|.

This horn looks interesting. From the photo, it seems to be using a lot of Meinl Weston parts, namely the valve cluster and some of the bows. Might be a decent choice, but probably too much damn money.

My prediction:

In about 6-12 months, the Besson 995's are gonna be floating around for sale like 2145's and 2155's are right now. In about 2-3 years the same with the new Mirafone CC's, not that any of these horns are bad, just the way things seem to go...
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

PT606

Post by jon112780 »

I was @CMC this past saturday and played the PT606 and it was a VERY good 4/4 CC, even played better than the 4/4 Hirsbrunners. I don't remember the price though.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: The next round of tubas...

Post by imperialbari »

Matthew Gilchrest wrote:Well they do show the new 4/4 york copy as a horn for sale in the tuba rag. Of course what the factory labels the GR-41, they call the PT-606. These guys are crafty :|.

This horn looks interesting. From the photo, it seems to be using a lot of Meinl Weston parts, namely the valve cluster and some of the bows. Might be a decent choice, but probably too much damn money.
Actually it is the other way round.

MW and B&S/PT are members of the same conglomerate. Formerly MW bought their valve blocks from a 3rd party maker.

Now they buy them from the in-conglomerate valve maker, who is B&S.

Klaus