Wessex solo blemishes

The bulk of the musical talk
Iaint
lurker
lurker

Wessex solo blemishes

Post by Iaint »

I purchased a Wessex Solo in the autumn ( Southern Hemisphere) and I am finding blemishes that seem to be under the lacquer at joints where the silver covers the brass. At the moment Wessex don’t want to know however my question is has anyone else experienced that problem or am I a one off?
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Re: Wessex solo blemishes

Post by Matt Walters »

If they are brown spots, you have "Acid Bleeds". They can happen on any instrument. As it gets bumped around, you opened up a microscopic pin hole that let the excess acid (used for soldering) stuck under the top part, escape out under the lacquer and spread. As soon as you spot that, take a needle and scratch through the lacquer at the offending solder joint. Any more stuck acid will escape outside the lacquer and can be easily wiped off. After it is all gone, no more problems except the brown spots you already have but they will no longer grow.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
Iainmac
lurker
lurker

Post by Iainmac »

Thanks Matt. Don’t understand why Wessex didn’t tell me about a solution. Most helpful.
Iainmac
lurker
lurker

Post by Iainmac »

I am finding navigation of the site difficult, no reflection on the designer just my ability.

Further to my question about the blemishes. It would appear they are acid bleeds with small issues all over the horn. To say the least I am disappointed and had I realised this was an issue I would have gone for the John Packer horn. I must admit to being wary of removing the lacquer, cleaning and spraying the area. But anyone looking to purchase a horn from any maker should be aware of the potential problem. As this is my first new purchase, (I have a B&H Imperial Euphonium and a Yamaha Bb Trombone) I was unaware of the potential problem.

Sorry to be a moaner but the cost including shipping to Aus. Led me to expect better. I have asked Wessex with no reply!