St.Pete 206 Eb Thoughts?

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

St.Pete 206 Eb Thoughts?

Post by DouglasJB »

What are your thoughts on the St. Pete 206 5V Eb tuba? I'd like to pick up a small horn to get back into playing, and have thought about this one for a bit, what are your experiences/thoughts?
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Re: St.Pete 206 Eb Thoughts?

Post by Snake Charmer »

Great horn! I tested her for some time and nearly bought her, when I had to replace my Besson Eb with something more ergonomic. But then the Eastman made the race...
The St. Pete offers a good intonation and easy playing through all registers. A bit of work in the very low region, but still solid sound. Sound is somewhere between classic German F and a bigger one, so you can pretend in both directions. For the offered qualities the price is very tempting!
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Re: St.Pete 206 Eb Thoughts?

Post by GeoffC_UK »

I road-tested a bundle of European manufactured Eb rotary tubas about a year ago. Included Miraphone, Meinl-Weston, and St. Petersburg. In price terms you can't ignore the fact that the St. Pete was half that of the others. But playing-wise, and ergonomics, the St. Pete compared extremely well. I asked the seller what he thought of them and his comment related to its less-refined manufacture quality. To me, it sounded as good as the Miraphone and was more comfortable to hold. If it's not your primary horn then it's definitely worthy of consideration.