EEb tuba opinions

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

EEb tuba opinions

Post by eupho »

I would appreciate some feedback on the Eastman EBE 853 EEb tuba vs the Wessex Gnagey EEb. Thanks.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: EEb tuba opinions

Post by Sousaswag »

Of the two, I'd take the Eastman. I much prefer 5v non-comp horns, to be clear. However, that Wessex is just a strange horn. The valve angle in particular is a real head-scratcher for me. Similar to the small Yamaha tubas, you have to bend your wrist quite far in order to play it.

The Eastman sounds good but will be stuffier down low, and the compensating front-action horns will be finger twisters in technical passages.

I might take a look at Wessex's compensating Eb horns too since 5v non-comp and 4v comp are quite different. Wessex made or makes a 4v front action compensating Eb that played similarly to the Eastman Eb.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamarc8891 »

I’ve had a great experience with my Gnagey. The valve block angle hasn’t cause any problems for me. It’s an incredible quintet horn (as are most Eb piston valve tubas). The low register is in the 99th percentile among bass tubas on the market that I’ve played. I like what I’m able to do in the upper register although some alternate fingerings are necessary.

You may also want to take a look at the new Wessex 6/4 Eb. I haven’t played it but I’ve heard great things. It’s also made in the ‘high grade’ section of the JinBao factory whereas the Gnagey is still produced in the regular production.
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Thanks for your thoughts on the Gnagey. Your hands-on experience supports my impression. The Tuba appears to be a great horn but is out of my "weight class" and my budget.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

I meant to say that the Wessex 6/4 EEb appears to be a great horn. But with my getting longer of tooth, 26 lbs and $6 grand is out of my weight class and my budget.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba