Mouthpiece recommendations for F Tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
k123ason
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece recommendations for F Tuba?

Post by k123ason »

Hello friends,

I play a Yamaha YFB-822 F tuba in my brass quintet and I'm looking for a reliable mouthpiece to play on. I generally use my F tuba for chamber playing and a few solo works as well. I am looking for something that is easy to use in all registers.

Any Suggestions?
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Mouthpiece recommendations for F Tuba?

Post by circusboy »

I always liked the Schilke 66 for my F tuba (small, older Miraphone). The rim might be a little small for some, but the deep funnel never failed to give some boom to the small horn.
jorzef
lurker
lurker

Post by jorzef »

I use the mouthpiece supplied with the horn, the Yamaha BB-67B4. I also have a Perantucci PT50 that actually works pretty well. High register is a little more difficult, but lovely dark sound all around.
A flat half step, is it? Oh, a sharp whole step.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

As someone who also plays a BIG piston F tuba I found that going to a smaller mouthpiece really lit up the tuba and gave it a lot more flexibility and didn't sound unfocused. I use a Bobo Solo model and it is a great solo mouthpiece while also retaining that big bass tuba sound down low. In the end it is really up to you on the mouthpiece but if you get a chance to try a Bobo Solo you may be pleasantly surprised on your 822! good luck with your search.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra