Eastman 832 versus Wessex Wyvern

The bulk of the musical talk
macdestroe
lurker
lurker

Eastman 832 versus Wessex Wyvern

Post by macdestroe »

Hey all—
I am currently trying to buy my first tuba for myself (I am a first-year undergrad).
I'm deciding between the Eastman 832 and the Wessex Wyvern and I'm curious as to the thoughts of the masses.
A bit about me: I'm mostly doing my performance degree to get really good at my instrument (and I'm also planning on doubling on euphonium starting next year). I'm not sure about future career goals and in terms of what I like to hear the smaller tubas appeal a lot more to my ear.
Thanks!
Wayne Rice
bugler
bugler

Re: Eastman 832 versus Wessex Wyvern

Post by Wayne Rice »

I'd consider the Eastman 632 as well. It is a little more "direct" sounding than the 832. But bottom line: you should play both and have someone there whom you trust to listen to you.
Keep playing, because expression is life.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Eastman 832 versus Wessex Wyvern

Post by barry grrr-ero »

If it's of any use, I tried an 832 at Park Ave. Music in San Jose and really liked it! In fact, I liked it much more than the 836 I tried there. I'm thinking of downsizing to an 832, as my B&S "Neptune" is a beast that weighs a ton! The low register on the 832 wasn't fantastic, but it was 'good'. The third line G above the staff, on the other hand, just roared out of that horn! But more important, it played very evenly through all the registers. The sound is a tad brighter than I generally like, but I could live with it. Scott Sutherland in So Cal has been using his 832 quite a bit lately. I think it's a really good design.