Euph mp switch

The bulk of the musical talk
The Impaler
3 valves
3 valves

Post by The Impaler »

Woodman (great handle BTW),

No, you're not in over your head. In fact, it sounds like you're in the same place I found myself in last year.

I played a Schilke 51D for seven years, then switched up my sophomore year of college to a Doug Elliott setup that actually had a smaller cup, but a much larger, more comfortable rim and a more open throat. I played that setup for six years, until I bought my new euph, a Yamaha Custom 842S. Didn't feel like I got the sound I really wanted, plus Adam Frey razzed my about playing on such a small setup when he was here last January. So, I started experimenting, and boy, did I?! I went through a ton, and, sparing all the ins and outs of each one, here's what I found:

1) Bigger is better (WITHIN REASON!) - In my opinion, it's better to get a larger piece that allows you a bigger sound and then teach yourself to be more flexible, have better range, play longer phrases, etc, than to settle on a small piece that's easy to play around on but doesn't give you that bit fat sound (remember euphonium means "good sounding").

2) Buzz the mouthpiece (WITHOUT RESISTANCE!) - It's actually better for your ear than anything else, but if you can teach yourself to get that fat, meaty buzz and replicate pitches with it, you'll conquer the horn in no time. I spend 8-12 minutes on the mouthpiece every morning before ever touching the horn (and actually, I buzz my tuba mouthpiece, never my euph mouthpiece, in the mornings).

3) Breathe! (RE-LEARN IT!) - 'The Breathing Gym' by Pat Sheridan and Sam Pilafian - GET IT! This system of moving mass quantities of air originated with the master, Armold Jacobs, and has been refined over the years and turned into a masterpiece at learning how to make playing the horn easier. Here's a sample of what I do every day:

6AM - make coffee and start stretching and breathing exercises (cafe es muy importante!!!!). Intersperse three or four buzzing exercises (on the tuba mouthpiece) in between breathing and stretching. Go take a shower!

7:30AM - get to school and start the routine (check the thread about Sam and Pat's warm-up routine). Generally takes around 45 mins-1 hour. Oh, BTW, I do this on my Eb tuba as well. Works well on euph too!

8:30 AM - get ready for school to start (I am a public school teacher, BTW).

lunch, or in the evening when I get home: This is when I start playing my euph, hitting technique exercises and eventually music I'm trying to learn. Quite honestly, sometimes I don't get anything else in after my morning warm-ups due to the mercurial job that is band directing, but even if I don't, I know I'm getting better every day just by doing it.

All this just to say this: keep the SM3 (it's actually what I'm using right now until my custom piece comes in from Dave Houser); it's a great piece. What is sounds like you need is some work away from the horn on moving air and making that large amount of flow easier and easier day by day. If you have any questions, feel free to call me! 432-352-4000. Hope this helps, and happy blowing!!!!
Cale Self

Assistant Professor of Music
Acting Director of Bands & Instructor of Low Brass
University of West Georgia
Carrollton, GA