Mack Brass ZO 6/4 and 4/4 CC Opinion

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Mack Brass ZO 6/4 and 4/4 CC Opinion

Post by DouglasJB »

For those who have tried these horns from Mack brass, what are your opinions?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Mack Brass ZO 6/4 and 4/4 CC Opinion

Post by Sousaswag »

The 4/4 is outstanding. Great pitch, great low register, and seems to be built very well. I really liked the one I’ve played. For the price I think it’s an absolute steal.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

I love my 6/4. Very good tuba.
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

The 6/4 is a great Tuba!
https://youtu.be/RjQLWd9P7-k
DanClouse
bugler
bugler

Post by DanClouse »

Echoing Sousaswag, the 4/4 is outstanding. I visited the Mack warehouse on a road trip and sat down with the ZO offerings, and across the board was impressed. I eventually broke down and shelled out the dough and now I own the 4/4 CC and the piston F and wish I owned these horns years ago. Solid build, pitch, response, range... These horns punch way above their price tag, and are a blast to play. I do miss having a "big" horn, but if I play pretty, I may be able to talk my wife into letting me get one.
Carry on my wayward son, there is peace when you are done.
Lay your weary head to rest, but not before you've learned your scales.
Andy Rummel
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Andy Rummel »

I will gladly add on to the thread. I currently play the 4/4 CC (the Raptor) and the piston F (the Falcon). Both are spectacular instruments. I played on the Nirschl 4/4 CC for many, many years and foolishly sold it to fun another instrument purchase. That was always the "one that got away" for me, that is, until I got the Raptor. The Raptor is a spectacular instrument with an awesome sound, impeccable intonation and is a complete hoy to play. I prefer this tuba to the one it is based on and feel that it is superior in most every way.

The Falcon F is also a wonderful instrument. I have been a rotary F player for most of my career but this tuba was more than enough to convince me to switch to pistons. I love everything about this instrument and have used it in virtually every playing situation possible with wonderful results.

I agree with Dan, these tubas play WAY WAY above their price point. Workmanship is spectacular and Chris Lair has been a joy to work with. I cannot recommend them enough!!!

Andy Rummel
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

Kind of off topic but how is the tuba so cheap if it’s a York copy that is very good. There has to be a draw back right?
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
burningchrome
bugler
bugler

Post by burningchrome »

CooperBayliff wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:07 pm Kind of off topic but how is the tuba so cheap if it’s a York copy that is very good. There has to be a draw back right?
90% of the cost is labor, and these horns are made in China. The difference between a Mack and a JZ horn is quality control. JZ (and other super cheap Chinese horns) are made fast and dirty. Tom makes sure his stuff is high quality. A friend of mine has a good saying: it's 95% of the expensive European horn for 1/4 of the cost.

Love my TU210 (once I sorted the kinks).
Rob Goeke
--
Trained to kill and play the tuba.
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

I see. Ill have to play test one of them at some point
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP