Looking to rent a tuba in Miami

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubaguy32478
bugler
bugler

Looking to rent a tuba in Miami

Post by Tubaguy32478 »

Hi Tubenet,

I’m desperately searching for a Bb tuba in Miami to rent for 2/3 weeks. This is for a high school student who has lost access to his school horn - he has various summer music camps fast approaching and we are scrambling. All the local music stores I’ve tried haven’t been of any help. Are there any local players who have a horn they’d be willing to rent out for a few weeks? If you or someone you know may be able to help, please reach out to me directly via email. Andy@theabels.org

Thank you!
Andy Abel
Tuba Fellow - New World Symphony
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Re: Looking to rent a tuba in Miami

Post by Easy Mac »

Good luck with this. Most players will not rent due to the horn being basically uninsurable during the time it is out of their possession. Most stores do not purchase tubas for stock at all — ever — unless they are an actual tuba store. Tubas, even very inexpensive student BBb three-valved horns, are a huge potential loser, financially, as a rental item. This is why you will not locate a rental tuba unless it is a complete basket case. Renting tubas is a losing proposition.

I have never rented one out to someone, either. I have *loaned* out tubas three times and in all three cases, there were huge issues with the deal due to damage or the borrower trying to sell the horn behind my back. These all were people recommended to me by former teachers, who vouched for these three individuals.

I would look to schools local to this student with which his director has good a working relationship. The director could then maybe try to borrow a tuba for the student, with the student being directly answerable to his band director.

Just curious, but why did this student make plans for the summer without first having 100% guaranteed access to a tuba beforehand? Forgive my being unable to see why this student lost access to his school tuba, save for inadequate planning on his part. If he graduated and did not plan for this that is on him. It is good that you are trying to help him out, but he needs to learn, and this would be an excellent lesson in being an adult, far more valuable to him than his attendance at summer camps. Now, if someone promised him access to a tuba and then reneged, that is a completely different story.

Have you considered renting him one of your own tubas? Learning CC is not hard. Anyway, considering that (even if it is not going to happen) will explain to you why people don't rent their tubas out.

Either way, I hope you are able to help him out.