Missing serial number on Wessex Chicago presence

The bulk of the musical talk
Pokornylover
lurker
lurker

Missing serial number on Wessex Chicago presence

Post by Pokornylover »

I have been in possession of a Wessex Chicago presence for a few months. I am the third owner of this horn; the previous owner claimed it was about 3 years old. During the process of getting the tuba insured, I was unable to locate the serial number. All valve casings were checked as well as the lead pipe.

Does anyone know where the serial number is located on these horns? It doesn't matter much, but It would be interesting to see if it were a prototype without a serial number.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Missing serial number on Wessex Chicago presence

Post by arpthark »

Have you tried contacting Wessex directly?
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaBeage »

Usually on the MP receiver. Has that been changed?
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Pokornylover wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:14 am I have been in possession of a Wessex Chicago presence for a few months. I am the third owner of this horn; the previous owner claimed it was about 3 years old. During the process of getting the tuba insured, I was unable to locate the serial number. All valve casings were checked as well as the lead pipe.

Does anyone know where the serial number is located on these horns? It doesn't matter much, but It would be interesting to see if it were a prototype without a serial number.
I sold one a few months ago (same one?) that was indeed a prototype - one of four - that had no serial number. I confirmed that with Wessex when I went through the same hassle with insurance. The prototypes were lighter than the production models and had some other quirks, all of which I addressed on mine (including getting new pistons from Wessex so the ports would actually match up with the casings).
Rob. Just Rob.
Tubaru
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaru »

I bought a Chicago-York about 2 years ago and it does not have a serial number. When I inquired with Wessex about that I was informed they no longer put serial numbers on their tubas (at least). I have thought about making my own and having it engraved on the instrument.

My Linz does have a serial number but it is on the backing plate of the first valve so you have to take that cap off to see it.
Wessex Chicago-York CC
Wessex Linz F
Wessex Dolce EP100GB
Pokornylover
lurker
lurker

Post by Pokornylover »

Found the serial number on the third valve casing in a very hard place to see. I’m aware that the newer models of the Chicago presence have it on the 2nd valve for anyone who is curious