Tubas for Midwest Clinic 2023

The bulk of the musical talk
JPLynd
bugler
bugler

Tubas for Midwest Clinic 2023

Post by JPLynd »

Hi All,

I play in the Brooklyn Wind Symphony (https://mmc.band/bkws) and we've been selected to perform at the upcoming Midwest Clinic in Chicago! As an all-volunteer community band, we're incredibly proud to be performing at the clinic for our second time. Most of the band will be flying out to the clinic. One of our tubists has a flight case and will be flying with their horn, but the others do not have flight cases.

We're struggling a little with figuring out how to get our tubas to the clinic. We have a performance in Brooklyn the day before our sound check in Chicago which makes driving the tubas difficult from a timing perspective. I'm wondering if anyone has any leads on where we could either rent or borrow a few tubas (likely 2 Bb horns and 1 CC horn) for our performance. I think the schedule is still in flux, but last I heard, our sound check was the afternoon/evening prior to our performance the following morning so we'd likely need the horns for a period of about 36-48 hours.

Also was wondering if any exhibitors ever lend horns in exchange for a thank you message or advertisement in a program.

Thanks for any tips or recommendations!
Meinl Weston 5450 "Thor" (Small Bell)
Miraphone Norwegian Star 283 Eb
Wessex CC Helicon

Gone but not forgotten :tuba:
MRP, YEB-321, 45SLZ, 188, 45SLP, 2155, 836, 5450RA, 56J, 853, 46, 410, 201N, 186
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Tubas for Midwest Clinic 2023

Post by bort »

What time does the performance end, and what time is the sound check? Your best best is probably to pile the stuff in a van, and shift-drive overnight to get there. Probably a 14-hour drive, but if your performance ends at 9pm you could be in Chicago by noon. It won't be fun, but it's certainly possible.

Or, why not see if you can borrow/rent tubas locally in NYC for your performance there, and have someone drive your stuff out to Chicago but leave a day or two earlier. Nothing says that the borrowed tubas have to be in Chicago, and not NYC... where you probably have other tuba friends already.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Tubas for Midwest Clinic 2023

Post by DouglasJB »

Best bet would be to ask Wessex, they have the showroom there. Worst that they can say is no.