Mouthpiece Characteristics that works well with 6/4 York Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Somarithedark
bugler
bugler

Mouthpiece Characteristics that works well with 6/4 York Tubas

Post by Somarithedark »

I've been playing on a Wessex Chicago Presence since March, and I've been using a Perentucci PT-88 that came with it. It gets the job done much better than my other mouthpieces that were designed for bass tubas and solo playing (Mike Finn 4 and the G&W Churada).

However, I find that the PT-88 does not support crisp articulations and control, especially in the low register. I was thinking of something with the same rim diameter, and maybe a smaller sized cup volume and/or backbore?

Let me know what mouthpieces would be a good fit for either the horn, myself, or the description I was looking for. Would especially love to hear about Mike Finn and G&W models, but I'm all ears for anything.
"Shouldn't we all be practicing right now?"

Reece Ashley
reeceash2000@gmail.com
Miraphone 283 "Norweigan Star" 5/4 Eb
Wessex "Chicago Presence" 6/4 CC
Boston Conservatory Tuba Performance 2025
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece Characteristics that works well with 6/4 York Tubas

Post by Easy Mac »

Sellmansberger Solo.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

Somarithedark wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:06 pm It gets the job done much better than my other mouthpieces that were designed for bass tubas and solo playing (Mike Finn 4 and the G&W Churada).
I'm guessing from this description that you're looking for a mouthpiece for ensemble playing? I use a Sellmansberger Orchestra Grand cup with a Symphony backbore and one of two #2 rims (32.6mm or 33.2mm depending on the rep I'm playing) on my BMB 6/4 and that's worked great for me.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Somarithedark
bugler
bugler

Post by Somarithedark »

The Brute Squad wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:26 am
Somarithedark wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:06 pm It gets the job done much better than my other mouthpieces that were designed for bass tubas and solo playing (Mike Finn 4 and the G&W Churada).
I'm guessing from this description that you're looking for a mouthpiece for ensemble playing? I use a Sellmansberger Orchestra Grand cup with a Symphony backbore and one of two #2 rims (32.6mm or 33.2mm depending on the rep I'm playing) on my BMB 6/4 and that's worked great for me.

Yeah I am looking to use my 6/4 tuba for large ensemble playing. The Chicago Presence has amazing tone and articulation control compared to other 6/4 horns, and I’m looking for something that will further aid in that big and articulate sound. I haven’t had the privilege to try other larger mouthpieces on the horn yet, so I’m not entirely sure if there even is anything better for me or not. Thank you for letting me know about the Sellsmanberger.
"Shouldn't we all be practicing right now?"

Reece Ashley
reeceash2000@gmail.com
Miraphone 283 "Norweigan Star" 5/4 Eb
Wessex "Chicago Presence" 6/4 CC
Boston Conservatory Tuba Performance 2025
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

For what you described, I would try the “H” from Mike Finn’s line and/or the “Tephra” from Ivan Giddings.

Both are significantly smaller than the PT-88 and should help with clarity. I (generally, but not always) go with a Helleberg/funnel cup with a wide piston horn and a cup/bowl shaped mouthpiece with a taller rotary horn.

Good luck,
-T. J.

Edit to add, if you like the PT line, the PT/RT-44 is where I’d start with that horn.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Post by rudysan »

If you you like Giddings and want to stay with a ID rim similar to the PT88, I would suggest a Caver. It's has a bit less cup volume than the PT88, being more funnel shaped. If you don't mind going with a bit smaller ID (around 33mm), maybe a Baer or a Fossi ?
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

I'm in love with my Parke Ofenloch on my Eastman 836 and it worked well on my Wessex Chicago Presence. I've never been able to fully quantify the internal shape but it's some kind of funnel.
Rob. Just Rob.
Julian
bugler
bugler

Post by Julian »

Laskey 30h