Miraphone 190 Kaiser impressions

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Miraphone 190 Kaiser impressions

Post by MikeMason »

Well, it got here safely, believe it or not, ups store. Seller packed with my instructions. Did a good job and a big helping of luck. It’s BIG, as expected, and in a totally different way than a York. Mine has a 19.75’’ bell, so that part is similar, but every other dimension different. Intonation things are as described by most people. I’m having a main tuning slide rod put on and something on the 2nd slide too. Second has a Very long pull. Main plus second long pulls will get 2+4 combinations in tune. The damn thing really likes a miraphone C4 mouthpiece 🙄. I’ve never used one but have an old battered one with a dented shank in my bag O mouthpieces. All my favorites are just hollow, dead, or too ringy. Second best is a bobo symphonic, but it really likes a c4. What other mouthpieces are similar but a bit bigger? But I may just have to get used to it. The pitch is very bendy, like a whole step if I try, but yet still has a degree of guard rail/slot. I think it will be a keeper, at least for a while. I’ll put in line at the shop for service/polish plus some custom work. Real test will be live gigs of course. Next one not til October.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Re: Miraphone 190 Kaiser impressions

Post by rudysan »

I think the Miraphone TU27 (or TU28 if you prefer a narrower and flatter rim the the C4) have a very similar cup to the C4 but with a 33mm ID and a 8,2mm throat. Maybe a Sellmansberger Solo too ?
Mcordon1
bugler
bugler

Post by Mcordon1 »

Have you tried a PT-88/+? I always heard those light up big germanic horns, I finally got one for mine, I regret not getting it sooner.
~Oregon~
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I have a regular 88 but euro shank, so doesn’t really fit well. Considering how well the much smaller miraphone c4 lights up the horn, I doubt how the 88+ would work, but I’ll try anything I can get my hands on.
Pensacola Symphony
ASmith
bugler
bugler

Post by ASmith »

I have a regular 88 but euro shank, so doesn’t really fit well. Considering how well the much smaller miraphone c4 lights up the horn, I doubt how the 88+ would work, but I’ll try anything I can get my hands on.
A PT-90 may work better, you would get the depth without the width.
Rudy 5/4 CC
Willson 3400-FA5
Mcordon1
bugler
bugler

Post by Mcordon1 »

Oh, and also, there seems to be many folks that post about success with a PT-50 with these big horns
~Oregon~
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Had the first concert on the new horn a while back. American in Paris, espana, el salon Mexico.Really enjoyed the new horn. Mostly the sound quality and the sense of power, especially low and mid register. The sound quality is like an old 186 b flat but bigger and without the edging out(it can ,but you really have to try, maybe due to big 20’’ bell this one has). I can basically play as loud as I want from around low f to f in the staff with quality sound. Still figuring out pitch solutions, but no issues on this concert. Still haven’t had all the work done I plan. I suspect,main and second slide moving devices will solve everything but low b and possibly low c will still be sharp. Slots are pretty bendy. From f# in the staff to about c above the staff the slots are very tight and narrow. Extra care is needed here. Alternative fingerings and very clearly hearing the pitches(“become a singer in your brain”-A.J.) helps greatly. I’m having a lot of fun on a small budget. Side note- only 2 trombone players noticed and/or commented on the different horn this season, from a silver Eastman 836, you know, virtually twinsies. Nobody really cares but us, folks :) I’m using the blokepiece symphony, btw. Not sure it’s the ultra mp for the horn, but works well for now. It likes the miraphone c4, but I can’t keep the pitch down. Blokepiece working fine, and I’m very familiar with it.
Pensacola Symphony
SWE
bugler
bugler

Post by SWE »

FWIW I think the Yamaha Jim Self mouthpiece is a nice middle ground btwn C4 and Geib
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

I liked the LOUD LM-10 on my 190 CC. I've always called it a C4 on steroids. Mine has the LM-3 rim on it, which has a bit more bite, but the stock rim is great as well. You may need to ping Dave Houser about getting one, or maybe try and find one used on eBay.
Dave Amason