Bicycle Trailer

The bulk of the musical talk
Colby Fahrenbacher
bugler
bugler

Bicycle Trailer

Post by Colby Fahrenbacher »

Over the past year, I have been trying to use my bicycle as my default mode of transportation whenever possible. From running errands around town to attending concerts in the park, it has been wonderful exploring my city by bike rather than from behind a steering wheel. Obviously, with just a bike, anything that involves a tuba so far has required a car, but with the current availability of things like cargo bikes, it got me to wonder...

Has anyone here used a bicycle trailer for hauling a tuba around town?

I've started casually looking at a few online, and there are a few that could work, but I wanted to see if there were any preferred set ups. It definitely needs to check a few boxes:

- sturdy (pot holes can be rough)
- stable (can't tip over in a turn)
- secure (don't want the tuba bouncing off in previously mentioned potholes)
= protective (can't damage the tuba in a soft case)

Thoughts?
Former tubist, USAF Bands
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Bicycle Trailer

Post by jbaylies »

When I biked with my tuba I just wore it in a soft case on my back.

I have a friend who bikes with a sousaphone bell on the handlebars and the body on their shoulder..

If you go the trailer route, I'd recommend adding some tall flags so trucks don't run it over.
Colby Fahrenbacher
bugler
bugler

Post by Colby Fahrenbacher »

I've worn my tuba on a bike before for very short, very controlled routes. I would not recommend it. Riding a bike can be dangerous enough as it is, I don't think that it is a good idea to tempt fate too much. From what I've seen of possible trailer choices so far, they are cheap relative to the cost of our instruments and repairs if an accident happens. Better to invest upon front if possible.

High visibility is a definitely must.
Former tubist, USAF Bands
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

https://www.profibike.nl/Vogue-Carry-2/ ... gKgZPD_BwE

See linked info. In my country (The Netherlands) a lot of people use bikes like these, e.g. to transport their young children. Very safe, sturdy, and...electric. Will also do for luxurious tuba transport......and some beer needed for the gig. :tuba: :D
Hubert