I need help choosing a CC tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

I need help choosing a CC tuba

Post by CooperBayliff »

I'm going to be getting a CC tuba at some point in the near future and I want to know what the best option for me is.

I've got quite a bit to say so strap in.

I am a highschool player going into college after this school year. I would will not be getting a tuba over $20,000 unless it is really that much better than a tuba that is slightly cheaper.

Over the past few months I have looked at almost all CC tubas with 5 valves. I dont really like rotary valves so any tuba that had rotary valves (apart from the fifth valve) was off the table for me. I would prefer a tuba that I can use in a huge college orchestra, get big, low sounds out of easily, and still have it not overpower a small ensemble. I've narrowed it down to 5 tubas. Here they are in order of which ones I think I would pick first to last.

Miraphone 1293 (silver)
Meinl Weston 5450 Thor (silver)
Meinl Weston 3225 Ursus (silver)
Adams Selected 4/4 CC (most likely silver)
Wessec Chicago Presence (silver)

I put the miraphone 1293 first because I like the idea of the low register being easier to play in than the previous models. I have played one miraphone in my life and it was the 4 valve B flat one that my school has. It looks like it has been thrown out of a two story window but is still our best horn.

I put the 5450 Thor at number 2 because its more expensive and I dont know how much I like the idea of a "hammer" sound. I would like my tuba to be able to be heard in a huge college orchestra but also not overpower every small ensemble. Alot of people like the thor but ultimately ill have to try one out and compare.

I put the 3225 Ursus at number 3 because its literally just the baer model but smaller. I figure since people consider the baer one of the best 6/4 tubas, the 4/4 version being basically the same just smaller, should be pretty damn good.

I put the adams selected 4/4 CC at 4 for the same reason as the ursus. The 6/4 version is amazing. I just havent seen many review of the adams 4/4.

I put the Wessex Chicago Presence at 5 because alot of people have said that 6/4 tubas are harder to play. I figure i should tackle one problem at a time and get proficient at playing CC tubas before taking on another challenge.

Are there any reccomendations for CC tubas that meet the reqyurements of what I want from a tuba. Are 6/4 tubas really harder to play than a 4/4 or does that just apply to older 6/4 tubas? What tubas do you guys prefer and why?
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
ronr
bugler
bugler

Re: I need help choosing a CC tuba

Post by ronr »

Somebody’s going to say this so I might as well start it out. Do you have a private instructor or will you be taking private lessons when you get to college? If so wait and talk with your instructor.
jc.tuba1
lurker
lurker

Post by jc.tuba1 »

I’m in highschool and recently bought an Eastman 832. Tested it out at the most recent IET festival and loved it. I got it for really cheap and it really is all I need in terms of a college horn. I’m not sure if I see the 832 making it through a master’s degree if you have that kind of thing in mind, but I’m able to get a fairly large sound in bigger ensembles without overpowering a chamber group as junior in high school. It was initially recommended to me by Chris Olka and I got the opinions of a few guys there like James Gourlay and some more experienced participants.

For the price I got it, I’m not entirely sure it could be beat for what I get out of it but I know the Eastmans aren’t for everyone. My private lessons teacher is a huge fan of the Ursus and the only reason he doesn’t still play it in his orchestra is because it was just a little too small for a full time job like that. Before anything in my response I would definitely get the opinions of more people on here that are more experienced and ask your instructor like Ronr said. Hope this helps.
Eastman EBC832S
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

ronr wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:56 pm Somebody’s going to say this so I might as well start it out. Do you have a private instructor or will you be taking private lessons when you get to college? If so wait and talk with your instructor.
I do have a private instructor so I will ask him.
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

jc.tuba1 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:27 am I’m in highschool and recently bought an Eastman 832. Tested it out at the most recent IET festival and loved it. I got it for really cheap and it really is all I need in terms of a college horn. I’m not sure if I see the 832 making it through a master’s degree if you have that kind of thing in mind, but I’m able to get a fairly large sound in bigger ensembles without overpowering a chamber group as junior in high school. It was initially recommended to me by Chris Olka and I got the opinions of a few guys there like James Gourlay and some more experienced participants.

For the price I got it, I’m not entirely sure it could be beat for what I get out of it but I know the Eastmans aren’t for everyone. My private lessons teacher is a huge fan of the Ursus and the only reason he doesn’t still play it in his orchestra is because it was just a little too small for a full time job like that. Before anything in my response I would definitely get the opinions of more people on here that are more experienced and ask your instructor like Ronr said. Hope this helps.
I think I would like to try a 5/4 sized tuba before going on to a huge 6/4 York copy
jc.tuba1
lurker
lurker

Post by jc.tuba1 »

[/quote]

I think I would like to try a 5/4 sized tuba before going on to a huge 6/4 York copy
[/quote]

The 832 is a bigger 4/4 tuba, so I still think it’s worth a look. The 836 is Eastmans’s big 6/4.
Eastman EBC832S
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

Oh. Does it put out a huge sound like the thor would? Im looking for a tuba that can do most if not all because college students are notorious for being dead broke and I'd rather a 5/4 or 4/4 tuba that can play in a large college orchestra and in a small ensemble than having to buy both a 4/4 and 6/4
jc.tuba1
lurker
lurker

Post by jc.tuba1 »

I can get a pretty large sound out of it though I’m not sure if it can produce as much as the Thor. I haven’t heard Thors very much as many of the professionals I talk to frequently don’t like that “hammer” sound it is notorious for. I’m also not sure about the ergonomics on that one.

Half of the reason I got the 832 in the first place was because of budget as well (about half of what a Thor would cost). In my initial reply I mentioned not being certain if it would make it through a masters degree though something like a Thor certainly could. I bought a cheaper CC tuba with an F tuba in mind in the future, so the extra funds from that will certainly help that down the line.
Eastman EBC832S
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

The 832 would be an excellent choice. I think it can handle pretty much any contrabass part, but can also be versatile in small ensembles. And the smaller bore makes it so easy to play. It also has very good intonation. But maybe my favorite thing is the big bell, and how it encompasses my head when I play it. Great player feedback.

The valves on mine are super short, fast, and flawless in their operation. That’s another plus for Eastman tubas.

And the price is very nice for what one gets with that instrument.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

I prefer a bigger bore on all my instruments. (Tuba, Trombone, Euphonium, and a large bore trumpet if i can find one) Bigger bore just works better for me. I have the lung capacity for it and it feels better (for me atleast) to play on a bigger bored instrument
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

jc.tuba1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:35 am In my initial reply I mentioned not being certain if it would make it through a masters degree though something like a Thor certainly could.
I want to be a college professor or a symphony player so atleast a masters degree is 100% in mind.
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

Learn to make a beautiful and *MUSICAL* sound on a 4/4 tuba. Don't worry about having a big, powerful sound in college because half the time you'll get the hand from the conductor anyways. Also, don't be afraid of BBb tubas in your search, because CC sousaphones aren't a thing... ;-) and you'd be smart to learn to walk a bass line and play in the jazz idiom.

Also, don't overspend, because in this economy, tubas can be very hard to unload unless they are the current "it" horn.

Best of luck.
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

lowtones425 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:31 pm Also, don't overspend, because in this economy, tubas can be very hard to unload unless they are the current "it" horn.
My idea is to get a good enough horn that i dont have to sell it later on anyways
Matthew Gaunt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matthew Gaunt »

Have to put in a vote for the Thor. In the last half of this season and over the summer I have used mine in quintet gigs as well as subbing and extra work with Chicago, Lyric, Grant Park and Indianapolis including big works like Mahler 5, Alpine….
Faculty
Bienen School of Music at Northwestern University
Northern Illinois University
Wheaton College
https://www.music.northwestern.edu/facu ... thew-gaunt
Pete Link
bugler
bugler

Post by Pete Link »

All of the instruments you listed would be worthy of purchase. Although I do not own one, the Thor is a fantastic tuba and can easily handle any situation thrown at it. I’ve tried more than a few over the years that belonged to students and was always impressed. The Pt6 has been a gold standard throughout the years and could
be worth serious consideration.

My advice for you(and others perhaps…) is to not go out and buy a 6/4 “York” whatever model just because you can… It’s so easy to be tempted to do with the various makers offering wonderful cost affordable options. However, I’d say a fair amount of folks soon realize it wasn’t what they really needed and aren’t quite ready for it. A reputable easy to play 4/4 to 5/4 CC a majority of the time will suffice.

I wish you luck on your purchase. The good news is you have tons to choose from in today’s market.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

You've got a good sized budget. I'd recommend spending some of it on travel. Go to places where you can try several of these tubas in person. It makes all the difference in the world.

For example, while I have great respect for players who love the Thor, when I tried one in person, it just shouted out to me that it was not the horn for me, ergonomically or timbre-wise.
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

circusboy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:48 pm For example, while I have great respect for players who love the Thor, when I tried one in person, it just shouted out to me that it was not the horn for me, ergonomically or timbre-wise.
I noticed on the photos of the thor and miraphone 1293 they have slightly different thumb rings. It looks to me like the thor can move up and down and rotate on the vertical axis while the miraphone on rotates on the horizontal axis. I feel like they both have what the other is missing to make them more ergonomic.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I’ve owned two of those tubas. The 1293 and Thor are both excellent tubas. I’d pick the Thor. It’s also probably easier to find a Thor. The Ursus plays well but has bad ergonomics to me. I wouldn’t even consider the Wessex.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

Sousaswag wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:05 am I’ve owned two of those tubas. The 1293 and Thor are both excellent tubas. I’d pick the Thor.
What makes the thor better for you?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I’m a tall guy. The Miraphone wasn’t comfortable for me. The Thor’s mouthpipe is considerably higher up on the horn and works much better. My old Thor (the one Matt Gaunt owns now) is one heck of a tuba.

The 1293 was no slouch but I liked the response, pitch, low register and ergonomics of the Thor better.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5