Possibly purchasing new horn

The bulk of the musical talk
TCary
lurker
lurker

Possibly purchasing new horn

Post by TCary »

I may be in the market for a new CC horn in the six months. Currently have a Kalison DS that is almost 30 years old. These are the horns I am considering:

Mack Brass ZO
Eastman 832
Wessex Wyvern
Jupiter XO

Finish (lacquer or silver) is not a consideration (current horn is silver, and keeping it clean can be a PITA).

Any thoughts on the above horns? I love the sound and projection of my DS, but am looking for something a bit more stable with pitch center. I mostly play in community bands and orchestras, with the occasional playing gig.
TCary
lurker
lurker

Re: Possibly purchasing new horn

Post by TCary »

...make that last line "paying gig"... ;)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Why? It seems the tuba you have is superior to those you listed. I play a sousaphone that is so old it has a 5-digit apparently Conn serial number. I am only selling my 50-year old Bessophone because I wanted a piston tuba instrument to go with the souzy. Before that I had access to a Conn 38K from @1929 that I only quit playing because my shoulder couldn't handle it anymore. My trumpet and flugel for those rare gigs are both over 50 years old. It's not the age of the horn. Most are better off being played and maintained than traded or sold.

About a decade ago I had the opportunity to play a then-new B&S GR-51 tuba side-by-side with my Miraphone (before the bell swap). Great BBb tuba. But even then, as nice as it was, it was not appreciably better to justify the difference in price for the new one compared to the trade-in or second-hand sale value of mine. At the end of the day, I went home with the girl I brought to the dance.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I mentioned this in the other “new CC” thread, but here’s my thought.

For me personally, I’d rather buy a used horn that will hold its value that you can SELL later on should it not be the one, and get what you paid for it. Rather than buying a new Chinese horn that will depreciate quickly, consider a USED European horn. I understand the want to move off the Kalison. Weird intonation on those.

Of the ones you listed buy the ZO. Best build quality and sound of the bunch.

The Eastman would be #2.

What I’d recommend (budget allowing) is a used Pt6, or a MW 5450. In the 4/4 realm, should you find a Hirsbrunner 2 or 2P, maybe one of those. Maybe an Ursus if you’re really itching to spend some money.
VERY similar to the Ursus, a good B&S Pt-606P could be a good choice. Just check intonation on it. I’ve played several dogs but a few that were REALLY good. And much less money than the Ursus. Same bugle, different slide layout.

Don’t buy the Jupiter. Nobody wants them and you’ll never get back what you paid.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
TCary
lurker
lurker

Post by TCary »

You have good suggestions - I would really like a Miraphone 1290, but there is a huge jump in price from my list and horns from Miraphone, B&S, and MW. The Kalison does a nice job, but sometimes pitch center can be a fishing expedition.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

I would avoid the ZO. From my experiences with them, they have a good sound, middle-of-the-line response, and unacceptable intonation.

The Wessex Wyvern build quality can leave something to be desired but good intonation and crazy good response.

Eastman has good build quality, point-and-shoot intonation, good response, and good sound.

Jupter XO has great response, good intonation, good build quality but they seem hard to resell.

Out of the listed instruments, I think I'd go with the Eastman. I think the size/sound concept is pretty close to the DS, but the intonation is much easier. If you have a private teacher, I'd recommend talking to them about this.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

A little jump, yes, but if you hunt for a while you can snag a deal. Really, a used Pt-6 isn’t that much less than a new Wyvern.

I don’t know what your budget is but $7-8K will get you a solid used horn.

That 606 I mentioned would probably be a good choice. Otherwise ZO or Eastman.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

I agree that the DS is the best of the bunch. Maybe you ought to invest a grand into the horn instead and save a lot of money… unless there is something wrong with it, like leaking valves or some squirrelly intonation.

If that's the case, stepping down to either of the first two on your list would get you a shiny, pretty, new tuba that is not quite as good, but that is shiny, pretty, and new, and a pretty good tuba that does not have the potential of your Kalison.

The last two you listed are instruments that I do not personally care for. I like the Eastman the best and the ZO next best.
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

TCary wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:28 am I may be in the market for a new CC horn in the six months. Currently have a Kalison DS that is almost 30 years old.
There is a horn at my highschool that is 60 years old and plays better than any of the other tubas. As long as the Kalison Daryl Smith plays good, theres no need to get a new horn.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

Could some kind of trigger or tuning stick or something be put on the Kalison to make it easier to play on pitch? Or maybe one of the tuba gurus could make it play better with valve alignment, fixing leaks, etc.? I just remember all the discussions on the Conn 20J and the flat F...and then some of the repair people said that if all the leaks were fixed and the valves aligned, that flat F went away...have you ever asked one of the repair gurus if the Kalison could be improved?
royjohn