Is getting a 6/4 CC tuba wise?

The bulk of the musical talk
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Is getting a 6/4 CC tuba wise?

Post by CooperBayliff »

I'm going into college and I know for a fact i will go straight into grad school after i get my bachelors to get my master's and doctorate's degrees. I would like to know if i should get a 6/4 CC to start off or do I do something else?
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
btsfajeff
lurker
lurker

Re: Is getting a 6/4 CC tuba wise?

Post by btsfajeff »

Have you asked for input from the tuba professor at your attending university?
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

Not yet. It is quite a large college, so he doesnt have much spare time that isnt already taken up by people asking questions. I already have arranged a time to meet with him. Its not for another month though so I figured id see what some people said here.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Hi Cooper. I know you are excited to start studying tuba and that's awesome. Take it from someone who was in your shoes about 15 years ago: don't get all caught up in equipment. Focus on your own musicality and drown out the noise (including what random people say on tuba forums; I guess that includes me!). Listen to your teacher and be patient with finding a good, in-tune tuba that is easy to play and suits your budget. Your sound and musicality is 95% you, 5% tuba.

To demonstrate: a very famous tuba player who plays a very, very famous 6/4 CC tuba demonstrated this in a lesson with me while I was playing a 4/4 horn. I mentioned I was thinking of buying something larger. He played an excerpt on his 6/4 and then the same excerpt on my 4/4. He sounded exactly as full, rich and resonant on both tubas and demonstrated that larger does not mean fuller, richer or better.

I "knew for a fact" many things as I entered undergrad that did not come to pass. Life has a funny way of making other plans. However, keep an open mind and a positive attitude and you can achieve great things. I would caution against putting yourself in the "I need XYZ tuba" box as that can be psychologically limiting and very frustrating as you'll be constantly worrying about gear. I speak from experience. Again, it's 95% you, 5% the tuba.

Just my two cents. Peace and good luck with your studies.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

arpthark, that was a great response! As a tuba newbie, I find it great to have a horn that is mostly point-and-shoot, freeing me to concentrate on technical issues and musicality, but I'm 75 y/o. Having suffered thru a doctoral program in a different profession, you couldn't pay me to go back to school to learn things I can learn at home on my own or with a good private teacher. And in my state, I can go to the state university basically free.

Your response was great for the "when I was your age" perspective. If you have to go to school to get a credential, it's good to know something about what to do while there. Maybe in another 100 years, schools will actually be mostly about learning and not about academic bullshit.
royjohn