Question on Conn 40k Neck/ Upper Leadpipe

The bulk of the musical talk
WitchyPsycho2
lurker
lurker

Question on Conn 40k Neck/ Upper Leadpipe

Post by WitchyPsycho2 »

Hello All,
I recently acquired a 1931 Conn 40k from my old college's surplus auction. I've wanted this particular horn since I played it, and come to find out they decided to surplus it much to my surprise. Unfortunately its not really close to the condition that I remember it being in when I was playing it and im in need of parts. Eventually my goal is get it into the shop for a full refresh, clean, and valve job. For now I am hoping to get it playable.

My main problems are a missing neck/upper leadpipe and the bits. As well as a valve button cap and valve spring.

When I look online I see the modern 40k necks available for a reasonable price, but my question does anyone know if they would work with my particular horn?

Are there any other neck's I should be looking for? Im ok with a modern one for now while I look for more vintage parts, but I am really open to anything at this point.

Thanks in advance!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Question on Conn 40k Neck/ Upper Leadpipe

Post by iiipopes »

Years ago, I had use of a 38K souzy, same thing with three valves instead of four. It was also missing the neck and bits. A standard Conn neck fits and works well. I was also missing the receiver and tube that connects the neck to the valve block. An old-style Conn 20K part fits. The new 40K is a re-designed instrument; parts of the new model may not fit.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.