Kanstul 5490 CC Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Kanstul 5490 CC Tuba

Post by CooperBayliff »

Has anyone tried one of these out? Im really far away from the kanstul factory so id like to know what other people think of it before making that car trip.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Kanstul 5490 CC Tuba

Post by Sousaswag »

Don’t buy one. Or even consider one. They’re not very popular and are really, really hard to sell later on. You don’t see them because there weren’t a whole lot made. Again, you’re better off buying a used Pt-6

Why do I keep recommending that? Because it’s just a great tuba. They’re popular for a reason.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

The Kanstul factory is also closed. I think they went out of business in 2017 or so.
TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Post by TheodoreSmith »

I might have a trickled out kanstul 5/4 for sale in the future for a decent price.

It will have a improved leadpipe, and normal valves. The problem with kanstul tubas is the valves are oriented weird, so they have a lot of unnecessary bends and twists. Very off putting.

Again, pretty quick google search to see that kanstul is closed and reviews and discussions on various kanstul models.
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Sousaswag wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 am Don’t buy one. Or even consider one. They’re not very popular and are really, really hard to sell later on. You don’t see them because there weren’t a whole lot made. Again, you’re better off buying a used Pt-6

Why do I keep recommending that? Because it’s just a great tuba. They’re popular for a reason.
They didn't make many, so they didn't have as much opportunity for R&D to iron things out and make a consistent product. Some of them were very good. Some of them were not. Biggest problem was intonation, some were all over the place. Second biggest problem was ergonomics, they never really got that figured out either.

As Sousawag said, the PT-6 is a far safer option. That's been around for ~30 years, tons have been made. Far more consistent product. And if you ever want to sell it, you don't have to do much to explain what it is or why it's good. People will just get it already.