What type of tuba do you prefer?

The bulk of the musical talk

What type of tuba do you prefer?

Total votes: 0

Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I put down "doesn't matter" because, really, brand names don't mean a thing to me.

I can have certain expectations about certain brands, but that doesn't mean that any specimen of tuba would actually align with those expectations.

You'd get the same answer from me if the question was whether I liked white, black, Asian, hispanic, etc., girls.
W
bugler
bugler

Post by W »

racist remarks removed by TubeNet admin
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I prefer the tuba that allows me to produce the sound I'm looking for in a particular ensemble, and that plays the easiest. Right now that means a King for my BBb and a Besson for Eb. My favorite brand overall is Henry Distin because they not only play great, but look great too. Unfortunately they haven't been made since 1909.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

well since cerveny is the only brand tuba i've ever actually truly "played". All the rest were either in jr high where the tubas are so old/beat up u dont' know if they are ven playable anymore, let alone wat brand they are. And the others were of people i met at various events just for 'fun'. But when it comes down to it my cerveny 681 is the only horn i've really played. So i guess ima have to say i prefer it :-p

Jacob"who played one of those jr high horns today, which wasn't so bad when you got past all those pesky air leaks"Morgan
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I prefer a tuba with front-action pistons arranged so the buttons are under my fingers without reaching, stretching, or bending my wrist. I like a fairly large bore (at least .730") for the first three and a bigger bore for the 4th valve. But I like the pistons to be light and fast. I like to have long valve slides, with the first, second, and fourth slides easily manipulated while playing. I like the leadpipe to be short, with the main tuning slide downstream from the valves. I like the whole instrument to be compact, no more than 36" tall, with a bell 18 to 20 inches in diameter. I would also like to have the bell and bottom bow made out of carbon fiber, (for lightness and durability) and the leadpipe made of solid copper or stainless steel for corrosion resistance.
-Is that asking too much?
-Any brand will do.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I choose 'doesn't matter' simply because I prefer different horns for different types of gigs.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipster55
3 valves
3 valves

Post by chipster55 »

my Amati 3/4 wants to be a Miraphone 186 when it grows up :lol: