Is this antique Kalison tuba a Bb or an Eb?

The bulk of the musical talk
willako
bugler
bugler

Is this antique Kalison tuba a Bb or an Eb?

Post by willako »

Hello,

At the following link there is a Kalison tuba at an antique dealer's shop. Is it a Bb or an Eb?
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/125328701581?ha ... Sw0Tdh6lPG Since the tubing does not seem very long, I thought it must be an Eb. The dealer does not know.

Thank you for your opinion. Bill.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Re: Is this antique Kalison tuba a Bb or an Eb?

Post by The Brute Squad »

Without any way to tell the size from the photos, Eb seems a safe guess. Will he let you playtest it at all? That's probably the only surefire way to know.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

That is an Eb tuba. Compared with the mouthpiece, the slides are too short for a BBb. Also, there is not enough bugle wound up in the wrap to be a BBb. It's a very short tuba.
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

Definitely Eb. Way too small to be in BBb. If you've ever seen a small 3/4 BBb tuba they are definitely bigger than that, there's not enough tuning and the valve slides look very short for a BBb tuba.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaBeage »

http://www.mariocorso.com/

If you look in the 'gallery' you will see the MC instruments have a very similar design. I have a 4270 which has an extra wrap and a doubled up 3rd slide which the 4250 (Eb) does not have.
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

+1 Eb

It’s tough without dimensions, so looking at proportion….
Even with tuning in the slide, very few wraps in the main tubing. No second upper now, just little tubing. Seems similar to some old student kings.
Penultimate bottom bow is relatively small diameter.
The valve casings too look relatively small diameter.

I’d guess if you had the bell diameter, I’d be 14”ish. I’d ask. Some horns like a Besson might have a much larger bell than that but look oversized too heavy compared to the height, but this horn in proportion to the height and girth the bell just looks small. If the bell were close to 10.5 it could be a baritone but I’d expect another upper loop or other tubing for that.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass