Current quality on Wessex tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Current quality on Wessex tubas

Post by Jess Haney »

Hey everyone,

I ordered a Wessex prokofiev in May and currently waiting for a December arrival. Has anyone received an Wessex lately that can comment as I heard their regular visits have not been able to happen with covid? Just curious at the moment with what people are seeing.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Re: Current quality on Wessex tubas

Post by tubamarc8891 »

I play tested a Linz for a month earlier this year. Build quality seemed to be great so far as I could tell. Slides were properly aligned and the valve action was smooth. Soldering looked to be well done. I didn’t have any issues. I wouldn’t expect any from one of their models made in the high grade section of the factory.
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

I just purchased and took delivery of a fiberglass sousaphone. For what it is, it seems to be a nice horn with a big sound. No complaints so far, but then I’ve only had it for a couple weeks. Time will tell.
harmgsn
lurker
lurker

Post by harmgsn »

I picked up a Wessex Dolce from Denton Big Brass (Denton, TX) earlier this year and so far the quality is pretty good. Slides are all aligned and move freely, valves are quite smooth. The only "gotcha" (and this isn't their fault, it's mine) is the soft shell gig bag I got with this horn is an older model and supposedly has issues where the shoulder straps come off. The dealer (Carl @ Denton Big Brass) gave me a heads up and offered to replace.
Walter E. Sear Cerveny BBb
St. Petersburg 202N BBb
Wessex Dolce (2021)
Yamaha YEP-321S
Yamaha YEP-202MS
Yamaha YBB-202MWC
Yamaha YTR-8335II
Wurlitzer Symphony Eb S/N P16542
Eastman EBB-623
Eastman ETR-540