Differences in the Miraphone F tuba lineup

The bulk of the musical talk
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Differences in the Miraphone F tuba lineup

Post by MKTuba »

I have been window shopping for an F tuba lately and have some questions about the Miraphone lineup. Mainly, what is the difference between the 181, 281, and 481 model F tubas? Visually they seem to be very similar however I am sure there must be differences great enough to justify Miraphone selling multiple different models. The spec sheet on miraphones website didn’t help much.

Before anyone suggests it, I will try all three out before I decide to buy anything.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Differences in the Miraphone F tuba lineup

Post by DouglasJB »

The 181 is the first model, the 281 (Firebird) fixed some of the issues of the 181, there is a 381 as well. (Bel Canto i this k, I don't remember much about it). The 481 (Elektra) is the newest, and moved the 5th valve to the bottom of the valve stack to make it the largest bore.

I know this is an over simplification of the differences, but ots a starting place.
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

Thanks for the reply. It appears the 381 is marketed as the “bel canto solo” model, because the 181 is also called the bel canto. The tip about the 481 having the 5th valve at the end of the circuit is helpful… I can’t believe I over looked that! I’d guess that that makes the low register more responsive. I can’t wait to try them out!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

The 181 is the OG… I’ve played two and they need some alternate fingerings. They’re comparable to a Pt-10 as far as playability.

I think the 381 is more similar to the 181 than the Firebird or Elektra. Steve Rosse might?? still play on one.

The Firebird is probably the most popular. I think it’s the first rotary F with an easy low C. Love them. Not as powerful as a big piston F or Eb. More of a soloist voice. They don’t have the carrying power of the larger piston horns. If that’s what you’re looking for, I’d pick the Firebird.

The Elektra is newest and yes, they moved the 5th valve. Great instrument. A friend of mine had a 6v that he bought new. Absolutely fantastic, super similar to the Firebird other than the valve difference.

I know you were looking at an Eb too- as you know, these rotary horns do not play like a small C :shock: -so if that’s what you want in your F tuba the Firebird or Elektra are my personal favorites!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

The ultimate goal for me is to have a 983 and a rotor F tuba, I just can’t decide which I will buy first! Thanks for the information!
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

My opinion here. If you go the Eb route, it can sub for a 4/4 CC often. If you do the F route, a 4/4 CC will still be very practical. I found when I played 6/4 CC and F, I often needed something in between
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

I want both but it’s a matter of when I can afford to own 3 tubas. Either route I go I feel like I’ll be fine but if I buy the F then I will likely stick with my Meinl 3450 for awhile longer (rather than trading it, like I plan on doing if I buy the 983).
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

Been happy with my 1281 (Petrushka) for about 8 years. Plays incredibly well in tune, nearly idiot-proof. Good sound. The only problem is that Miraphone designed the valve carriage setup so that it is pretty much exactly the same as my 1291. I had to add special caps to the 1291's pistons to tell them apart when I switch back and forth. It is a good idea to have one horn that's rotary, and one that's piston.
sorry, I don't do signatures.
Logh.Brass
lurker
lurker

Post by Logh.Brass »

I know I’m a little late to this thread but isn’t there also a Miraphone 180B which looks like a predecessor to even the 181?
Meinl Weston 2165- Laskey 30h
Wessex Berg TF435- Giddings Sam Pilafian
:tuba:
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

I can't weigh in on that, but I know there was a miraphone 180 F, not sure about the "b" designation. I was mostly curious about the modern lineup, as I am planing on buying an F tuba in a few years. I was going back and forth between Eb and F and I have decided to simply purchase both lol. The Eb will be first, and I will buy an F as soon as I can afford to.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

JaxBen_20J
bugler
bugler

Post by JaxBen_20J »

If the old 180 had similar playing characteristics to the Dalyan Neptune clone of it that I have, it's an interesting and fun little horn. Pretty beautiful sound, especially in the mid to upper register, but definitely a very, very clear example of German rotor F tuba tendencies in the D/Db/C area. Mine has the 2 step 5th valve circuit, which makes it really easy to find a well tuned note for just about everything. I wouldn't use it as the only horn in a large ensemble setting, though. It fits great with a quintet. It MAY be fine as a soloist horn as well, but I'm not skilled enough to ever be a soloist so I can't speak to that :-D