Honest opinions on the Yamaha YEP211

The bulk of the musical talk
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Honest opinions on the Yamaha YEP211

Post by MKTuba »

Last night I got the opportunity to sub with my universities Pep band, and they use Yamaha YEP211 front facing euphoniums. I have previously owned the YEP201, and have extensively played the 321 and I have to say that the 211 is fantastic!

It has been almost 10 years since I had my 201, and I was quite a young player but from what I can remember I didn’t really care for the instrument. Part of that was me wanting to upgrade to a compensating horn, but even so it seemed to be a somewhat problematic instrument.

The 211 is none of that. I can’t offer a direct comparison, between this and anything else but my Boosey and Hawkes Sovereign that I have been playing for about a year, and just between those two horns part of me prefers the Yamaha. The intonation is great, and it is a very open horn. These aren’t really fair comparisons considering the differences in age, configuration, number of valves ETC, but even so I just really enjoyed the 211!

I get that it is a niche horn, however for what it is it is great. Honestly, if it had 4 valves id even consider buying one. I’m primarily a tuba player now, however still use the euphonium in my private teaching as well as some occasional other applications. I would buy a 211 in a heart beat, if one came up on the used market!

Just my 2 cents.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Honest opinions on the Yamaha YEP211

Post by Sousaswag »

I like them. I like the old American makes with 4 valves even more. I dig bell-front instruments.

The 211 offers everything the 201 does but in a more unique and fun package. I totally get what you’re putting down.

I’d totally play one. In the schools that I teach, I’ll always pick up the bell front before the 201 if we have one.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Honest opinions on the Yamaha YEP211

Post by MKTuba »

They are really great instruments! I have always loved the recording bell tubas, so I shouldn’t have been surprised that I enjoyed the 211 so much.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State