The bulk of the musical talk
cle_tuba
bugler
bugler

GR55 vs. Fafner

Post by cle_tuba »

Hello!
According to the B&S website:
"It holds its own in the league of 5/4 BBb's and is just an all out solid performer. It is safe to say it rivals its bretheran Fafner from across the aisle, in terms of sound and power."
Does anyone know how the GR55 and Fafner compare?
thank you and good sounds to all!
Cleverson Zavatto
Tubist
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Re: GR55 vs. Fafner

Post by ckalaher1 »

Played a GR-55 against a handmade Fafner once in a pretty big room for maybe 30 minutes.

The B&S had a better scale. I thought they both made a great sound. The Fafner maybe a little bit more of a colorful sound; the GR-55 easier to get a growl out of. The Fafner was maybe ever so slightly snappier with regards to response, likely a byproduct of being a handmade version. Overall, I liked the GR-55 a little bit better. Both really nice tubas, but the difference in price is substantial.
PGL@UK
lurker
lurker

Post by PGL@UK »

ckalaher1 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:55 am Played a GR-55 against a handmade Fafner once in a pretty big room for maybe 30 minutes.

The B&S had a better scale. I thought they both made a great sound. The Fafner maybe a little bit more of a colorful sound; the GR-55 easier to get a growl out of.
When you say easier to get a growl out of, is that a positive comment/compliment? I’ve been close to buying a GR51 but all the feedback on the GR55 is making me think of holding off and saving a bit more. The difficulty in the UK is lack of retailers having GR55 to try out.
UK tuba player
Besson Sovereign 981 (1987)
B&S PT20
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

The Fafner is a real Kaisertuba with a 21.5 mm bore size. The GR 51/55 is a large 4/4 Tuba for me. Bore size is smaller, only 19 to 20 mm. Of course is the B&S easier to play, because you can focus more on it. The GR 55 is in fact the same tuba, only in goldbrass and a little larger bell. Thats it. In my opinion is it not to compare, because they are different instruments. Both are great! But it depends on what you want....
IOS
bugler
bugler

Post by IOS »

I have owned both of these for more than 7 years or so. The MW 195/5P and the GR 55 are very different instruments. The GR 55 gives you the classic German Band sound - easy to articulate and very manageable in all registers and great for Oktoberfest gigs. The MW 195/5P is the most resonant instrument I have ever played. The sound is massive and beautiful. I have received so many comments on the quality of sound of the MW 195/5P. It is not suitable for all settings. You need a large ensemble and an accommodating conductor who is partial to the huge sound. Given its size, it takes a while to learn to play the big fellow (gender neutral) but once you master it, it is quite an enjoyable experience every time you pick it up.
cle_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by cle_tuba »

Thank you all...
I asked the question because I'm biased to buy this GR55

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 79-74-7257

I have an F tuba (Kodiak) and a CC tuba (1292) and I would like to buy a good BBb tuba, and within my budget I saw that this B&S could be a good option!

Thanks again to all...
Thanks to those who can contribute to this post...

Best
Cleverson Zavatto
Tubist
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I owned the GR51 in the photo and my friend had the Fafner. I liked mine as well as his, there wasn't enough difference to mention. His has a new owner now, high rent work.

ImageIMG_0769 by John Doe, on Flickr
MORE AIR