Compilation/comparison between a valve ophicleide, an ophicleide and an F tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Compilation/comparison between a valve ophicleide, an ophicleide and an F tuba

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Hello all,

here is a compilation/comparison between a valve ophicleide, an ophicleide and an F tuba based on some orchestral passages from Richard Wagner's opera - The Flying Dutchman.

Have fun and enjoy! 🎶🎵

https://youtu.be/fcRu9FB939M
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Compilation/comparison between a valve ophicleide, an ophicleide and an F tuba

Post by bisontuba »

Very nice...
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Compilation/comparison between a valve ophicleide, an ophicleide and an F tuba

Post by timothy42b »

Thanks for sharing, that was interesting.

I would think the average audience would say the F tuba version sounded better, not being as interested in historical accuracy.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

I would agree with the average audience, at least with a modern trombone section like in the video. I'd definitely be interested to hear a similar comparison with 19th century trombones.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

The Brute Squad wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:59 am I would agree with the average audience, at least with a modern trombone section like in the video. I'd definitely be interested to hear a similar comparison with 19th century trombones.
I agree on both counts.

I myself liked the F tuba version better.

But I wonder if I would have a different take if the trombone section were different.