The original mpc on a Besson three-valve compensating Eb tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
willako
bugler
bugler

The original mpc on a Besson three-valve compensating Eb tuba?

Post by willako »

Hi,
What was the original mouthpiece on a Besson three-valve compensating Eb made in 1981?
Thank you for any information. Bill
peter birch
4 valves
4 valves

Re: The original mpc on a Besson three-valve compensating Eb tuba?

Post by peter birch »

I remember getting one of these around 1980 (I was quite disappointed that the band didn't let me have the 4 valved version) As I remember it came with a mouthpiece marked Besson, it was a similar size to a a vb25. Shortly after they were supplied with Denis Wick mouthpieces (without the Letter L), usually a 2 or 3
courtois 181 EEb
PT24+
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

This is where Dennis Wick comes into the picture. The English mouthpieces for Eb tuba were generally quite small. Then D.W. made somewhat bigger mouthpieces that fit the smaller English receivers. Most popular from his line were the #2 and #3 sizes (#1 if you were using it more like a contrabass). Then many players liked the D.W. mouthpieces enough, that he started making them with large shanks to fit most every other tuba (designated with an "L"). Some of this may have got jump-started by John Fletcher. He often used either a Bach 24AW on his 'eefers' (he had several), or a Conn Helleberg (7B size, I think). The 24AW is still a popular choice in England for Eb tubas, especially since Bessons now come with a standard, Morris taper shank receiver.

If you're looking for a more 'authentic', British style Eb tuba mouthpiece, I'm not sure you would need to do more than peruse the Dennis Wick online catalog. If you want really small, they do make a #5 (I don't think they have a #4 in the line). I really like their Heritage line, which puts more 'meat' down near the throat (and with a slightly flatter rim profile). However, I THINK (I'm not sure) that the Heritage line might not be available with the smaller, 'old school' shanks. Hope this helps.

Barry Guerrero
willako
bugler
bugler

Post by willako »

Thanks so much, Barry and Peter.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

1) Most modern receivers have a Morse taper. The word "Morse" simply describes the rate of taper, not diameter. The differences are in the tip diamter; in other words, the difference is in how much is the receiver is reamed. Besson mouthpieces for older smaller receivers are .490 at the tip; "standard" American mouthpieces have a tip diameter of .520; the tip diameter of current European mouthpiece shanks is .530, and so on. Matt Walters, the Dillon Music tuba guru, has a thread on this forum further explaining tuba mouthpiece shanks in detail:
viewtopic.php?t=10390
2) Yes, Denis Wick does make a #4 tuba mouthpiece as well as a #5. The marketing is aimed to beginners, but they are still good mouthpieces if you want or need a small cup diameter mouthpiece. My understanding and experience, having played them, is that yes, a #1 works best with a BBb comp tuba, #2 can be used for about anything, #3 was considered "standard" for Eb. The #3 is comparable to a Bach 24AW, but with different rim geometry:
https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/up ... -Chart.pdf
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.